Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Eagle History

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Re: Eagle History

Post by Boomer »

Saskatchewan Transportation bought new Eagles.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Trailways was in Canada I worked on a MCI and a GMC that both were old Trailways buses from Canada

Eagle just would not comply to Canada's rules they didn't need to they shipped their buses all over the world

The Eagle's Boomer is talking about those all came back here I looked at MOL bult Eagle's from Canada that a mining co in NV had 2 made in the 80's

They looked like a 05 with a air tag and bonded windows with windsheids taller than a model 15 and were built years before the model 15 both had Man Diesel engines and air tags from the factory nice buses I stop and try to buy one every time I am NV lol I love the MOL Eagles

Clifford
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

That's why these boards are so great! We all learn something most days.

I was aware there were some Eagles in Canada, including several conversions.

My point was, that Eagle never applied for a Canada Import Certificate. They had no market.

Jim, STOP thinking of yourself as advanced age! A lot of us are of the same vintage. Frankies older than you for chrissakes! Just think of it as "I have matured enough to do only what I want to and when I want to. Ask Clifford! It's wonderful to hear things are "leveling off". Always know that others care!
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Clifford, I see you are lurking on the board.

How are you and Sonia?

I saw you have a new number. May I have it. My number is on the roster.

Jim must seem like a kid to you!

Take care, my friend

Joe & Frankie
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
Liberty
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F415412
Bus Model: 1967 Silver Eagle 01 #7211

Post by Liberty »

We are now in your neighborhood. Sitting between Dixon and Vienna acting a deterents to vandals for a B & B farm. See ya'll in Branson I guess.
LeRoy & Anne Willis
Bus & Car
Bus Model: 2011 Fiat Van, my daily driver.

Re: "Casper" 1966 Silver Eagle 01

Post by Bus & Car »

akroyaleagle wrote:"The Eagle Coach Corporation factory started deliveries from Brownsville, Texas in 1975.
For one year, the Bus & Car and Eagle factories both produced coaches for the US
market, but since 1976, all US Eagles were produced in Texas."

Yes, your Eagle was made in Belgium.

Eagles were not manufactured in the US until 1975. They were probably titled as 1976 models as the model year is set by the year sold rather than the year made.

We have placed the Eagle delivery records on this Board. Virtually all Eagles can be traced to their delivery date and original owner in those records by their VIN.

There is the rare occassion that you don't find one. That may be because somewhere along the 40 or 50 years since made someone has "changed" the VIN.

When converters convert coaches they may issue a Statement of Origin instead of a Title so they or the buyer can title the bus whatever year and model they put on the Statement of Origin.

That's how Canadian's get Eagles since Eagles are not easily imported into Canada. They simply title them in the US as Prevost, install a few French decals and take them home and re-register them in Canada as a prevost. Most of them are older than 25 years and fall under a different "antique" law now and are more easily imported.

The sole reason that they are difficult to import into Canada is that they were made for Trailways and Trailways never existed in Canada. Eagle had no market there so never applied for a Import Certificate. Prevosts are made in Canada. They are sold to the entertainmen industry, wealthy Americans, and some smaller bus companies as tour buses. so they just got a US Import Certificate.

MCI's are made in Canada, trucked to Pembroke, ND and final assembly is done there as I recall. Now you have a joint US and Canada made vehicle so it doesn't require a Import Certificate in either country. Canada also has a huge Greyhound operation.

It's the same as buying a new trailer. You don't get a title because the trailer is newly manufactured and has never been registered in a State. Therefore, there is no Title. The trailer comes with a Statement of Origin issued by the Manufacturer. The Statement is presented by the buyer to their DMV and they pay fees and the Title and plates are issued.

My Eagle is a 1978. I was asked when I had it converted what year I wanted on the Title. I finished it in 1996 and could have titled it a 1997. I am aware of many 2000 model or later Eagles. They have not been manufactured since 1996. Silver Eagle Manufacturing has made one. They have a website, so you can see it. It is not finished and has been around probably at least 5 years awaiting a purchaser. It is a motorhome shell. If it is ever sold, it will probably be titled whatever that year or the next is.

So some folks like to be able to tell everyone they have a 2005 or so Eagle. We all know it is an 01 and hasn't been made for 50 years but except for longtime Eagle owners, no one else knows. You also pay taxes, registration fees and insurance on a inflated price. ETC.

See what an education is available just by asking the right people?

Hope this helps.

Joe
The first Eagles sold new to Canada were frame numbers 6966 to 6969 and 6973 to 6976. They were all sold to Pacific Stage Lines. The first four were operated by Vancouver Island Coach Lines as 6505 to 6508. The others were operated by the British Columbia Hydroelectric Authority as 6501 to 6504. This was in 1966 and Eagle sold a number of other new coaches to various Canadian operators over the years from both Belgium and the USA. As these were early 1966 models, they were likely ordered in 1965 hence the 6500 series fleet numbers. Back then it was easy to import new coaches to Canada but used ones had to be at least 15 years old. That was why a whole bunch of Model 04's ended up in Canada later on. After MOL closed Eagle's remains in Belgium, there was no more support for them in Europe and a Canadian dealer bought a quanity of them not realizing they were quite different from all other Eagles. And Vancouver-Seattle Trailways existed back in the day so there was a Trailways presence in Canada in the past. Flxible also sold a number of new coaches in Canada over the years and some Flxible customers bought Eagles when Flxible pulled out of the coach market.

The first 11 Eagles that left the Brownsville plant were in fact 1974 models. The production was slowly ramped up in 1975 and continued to grow in later years. Production was split between Belgium and Brownsville from late 1974 until the 1977 model year started. From then on, there were no more imported 05 Eagles. Early Brownsville Eagles had some quality issues that were resolved over time but they were a bitter pill for Trailways operators to swallow at first.
Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!///Reste Trés Bien Comme Un Porc-Épic!!!
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

I would love to have a MOL built Eagle (Transcontinental) they were head of the times compared to the rest of the Eagles with the bonded windows,large windshields and tag axle

welcome
Bus & Car

Post by Bus & Car »

I really liked those to but I think that Bus & Car developed them and MOL took it over as they did with the Model 17 transit bus. I really loved the tall windshields, gave them an amazing look back then. A few made it to the USA in the secondhand market. I found one that was taking a break in Jacksonville, FL about 20 years ago and photographed it. They were 2.5 meters or 98.4 inches wide, the European standard and the drive was on the front rather that on the rear.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

I know where 2 of the MOL freighter models are that have the side doors tied up in a law suit for years I been trying to buy for 6 years now the MOL's didn't have the drop box either
Bus & Car

Post by Bus & Car »

luvrbus wrote:I know where 2 of the MOL freighter models are that have the side doors tied up in a law suit for years I been trying to buy for 6 years now the MOL's didn't have the drop box either
By 'freighter', do you mean a second (and shorter) door on the curb side of the coach, just ahead of the rear axles? That's a normal second entry/exit door in Europe and the lav is usually right beside it on the right as you enter. You go down the stairs to use the lav but can also exit or enter when the coach is parked. That has nothing to do with freight. You give up four seats (two if non-lav) but you get two in return at the right rear where the lav is on US coaches.

So where are these two? What are their frame numbers, which are handily on a little tag attached low on the bodyside just behind the front door? Do you have or can you get any photos?

Thanks