Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

? about towing

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
van
Club Member
Club Member

? about towing

Post by van »

Can my 2 WD P/U be towed on a dolly from the rear so the drive shaft doesn' have to be connected :?:
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: ? about towing

Post by Songman »

A lot of people will probably say no, but as long as your steering wheels locks it will work fine. Of course, if you hit a big bump and it breaks your steering wheel lock then the truck will go crazy! But how likely is that to happen? I've pulled many cars backwards to keep from having to worry about the driveline. Some folks leave their tow vehicle running to keep the coolant circulating and cooling the transmission. Personally I'm not fond enough of fuel prices to do that.

In CA now, you are required to have magnetic lights on any vehicle being towed if the vehicle lights aren't wired in to the turn/brake/running lights. If you have to come to CA, Harbor Freight has a pretty inexpensive magnetic light set.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Van, the main reason folks have concern about towing backward, is that you now have tow-out on the front wheels (instead of tow-in). I am not sure that is really a big issue, but I think I would have someone do an alignment with the minimum factory tow-in setting.

Obviously, if it is a standard shift, you can pull it four down. You could also install a Remco drive shaft coupling (http://www.remcotowing.com/node/7). Lots of folks use this on even some large (1 ton) trucks. Not sure of the cost balance of dolly vs tow bar/coupling/brake.

If you go the dolly route, be sure to get one with brakes.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Good point guys about the lights ,but especially about the toe out .Figured I would take a shot in the dark ,but doesn't sound like the route to take with our new truck,auto trans by the way.thanks all .trailer (enclosed) sounds more the route,room for the Harley too! 8-)
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Nah... Get the disconnect for the truck and throw the Harley in the back of the truck. If you get in a tight spot you can't unhook that trailer and drive it around out of the way.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Eagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F182862
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle model 10

Post by Eagle »

Van check the owners manual a lot of trucks can be towed all four down. Most all the newer Fords can.