Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Building door?

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: Building door?

Post by Songman »

Good info, Clifford. Thanks! As you know, I don't plan to have any exterior handles on my bus so I will use a keyless entry with a fob and possibly a keypad mounted on the side of the bus. I will probably add a dead bolt but it will just be lockable from inside the bus and will be an added safety feature when going down the road to keep the door from opening accidentally.

The thing about using stainless is something I didn't know. Thanks!
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

I googled Cookson and did not find anything related to locks. Any ideas on who has them?
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Hal
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: f128731
Bus Model: 1974 05 Eagle

Post by Hal »

If you plan on building a tall door (raised roof and drivers area) I'd use two latches.Even if its not a tall door, the double latch will work great. You could also incorperate a wedge type solenoid at the top of the door to draw it in and hold it there. Don't be afraid of using 2" tube for plenty of beef, it will pay off in the long run with a strong, tight fitting door. Make sure you give yourself plenty of clearance from door to frame and find a seal you can source easily in the future-it will need replacing down the road.
Just my observations, Hal
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Hal has a good point if I was doing it over I would rip the stock door frame out and go to 2 inch tubing door.I have a 12v magnetic lock I plan on installing at the top of my door and don't know for sure if it is going to work or not but will find out.Paul, Cookson locks are hard to find but I think they were bought by Stanley Prevost used this dead bolt on their conversions mine cost $ 178.00 10 years ago that and 60s with the B500 was the only part of my Prevost I liked LOL good luck

Clifford
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Thank You all for the good information. It will be a little while before I tackle the door but I have been thinking alot about it. My 05's door is not what I want. In winds it does not seal. I added a camover latch on the top of the door to make it seal. It also has a piano hinge that I do not like. I will use hidden hinges like Steve and Hal. The double latch is also a must. It is a long ways from the hinge to the top of the door. A latch at the top will solve that problem. I like Hal's Idea of using 2 inch tubing and making it out of stainless as Clifford says will be a plus. I might need a crane to set it but it will be bullet proof. We need to find some good weather srtip so we can build the door to fit the strip. If anyone has any ideas please chime in.

Good Luck Wayne
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Wayne, the same company that has the struts has all kinds of different weatherstrips stuff.... I'll copy some page and send to you and see what you think.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Dale, That would be great also see what you have for the gas cylinders for my door.

Thank You Wayne