Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Building door?

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Building door?

Post by Songman »

I finally found out I can get the stainless I need from IBP to do my door. I have the two frames that were part of the original door. I have a couple of questions for those of you who have done it before...

First, did any of you write anything down or make a drawing of what you did? I am asking mostly because of the distance between the two frames. Should that be a pretty standard distance or will it vary from bus to bus?

Second, How did you do the outer skin on the upper part of the door? Did you just cover it in fiberglass or steel or something and then cut out the hole to fit whatever window you have?

I know I want to incorporate Steve's hinge so that will be different than most Eagles. I've got the drawing of the hinge, Steve. Do you have any good pictures or plans for the modifications to the bus under the dashboard?

Thanks.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Re: Building door?

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Dale I gotta ton a pics for you and I will trade em for that cd on your desk ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will get started back on my door any time you want to start yours and walk you right through it. I probably have 100 pics of that part of the bus but I am not sure what part of the dash you are inquiring about? First thing you need to do is to get done with the hinges and work off of them after they are welded to the bus. I'm going to say every door would be different Dale. 1/8 inch to much of a gap means a lot of water or air infiltration, both of which are bad. To tight will lead to a dragging door in the future. Not to confuse you that the metal gaps are not that tight. I left 1 inch around the door for weather striping. Its just that I want it to stay that way for the next 15 to 20 years. Once you get into it, you will see its pretty elementary on how it goes together. I will send you all the pics you need. Go ahead and strip of the aluminum off the old doors and make sure they are usable and not to rusty.

Still got my phone number???

.........Kentucky Steve .........
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Yep. Still got the number. I'm on the phone with Van now. Can I call you in just a few?
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Great talking to you again, Steve. Thanks for going through all your photos with me and explaining what you have done on the hinge.

Now can anyone comment on how they did the top part of the door?
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Dale first off thanks a bunch for the foxfire every thing went the way you expained,second when I get to the front door (back burner once more) I will use sheet metal and cut out the space for the slider window,hopefully others will share their build.
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Dale-

We built ours pretty much like it's been discussed. I bolted the hinge to the forward door post, then to the front leaf. From there, I held the second leaf where I wanted it to be and took a swag measurement, cut some spacers, then C-clamped the two sides together. Once the frame was built, we used a piece of 16 gauge aluminum to cover the top half, then cut the window opening and outer edges to match the opening in the cap. Cindy sent me the link with some pictures: http://www.webcove.com/eagle/log/2005-3-13.htm

Good luck and give a call if you need more info!

Art
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Thanks Art. Those pictures will help a lot. I'm glad you guys took so many pictures.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

I for one would like to thank Cindy,after Cheryl And Cindy met last weekend and got to chatting Cheryl's attitude toward toward building our dream has taken a dramatic turn ,the first thing she said to me on the way home was;" we've got to get the Eagle fixed and back on the road " thanks guy's,WOO HOO. :D
SunChaserCindy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by SunChaserCindy »

Anytime Van. You can just put the check in the mail! LOL! Seriously though, I very much enjoyed our visit, and if there is anything we can do to help, holler! :D
Cindy
1988 - 15 - SunChaser
http://www.webcove.com/eagle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Ok guys I am going to add my 2 cents worth on building a door for your bus if you are planning on raised door I would recommend using a stainless tubing for the top 1/2 of the door frame stainless has less flex than regular steel tubing and a Eagle door will flex at the top Wayne and I both have a problem with it. And on the door latch locate it as far away from the outside frame as you can and build a frame around it or don't use a latch use a keyless entry with a plunger.If you are going to have a dead bolt lock use the Cookson brand it will fit flush and not as big around as the house type plus it only has about a 1/8 inch showing on the outside and again use a frame a piece of pipe with a slot works good for that and now are you screwed up with me trying to help good luck

Clifford