Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Leveling Jack in Quartszsite

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Leveling Jack in Quartszsite

Post by luvrbus »

Guys I know it belongs in the mall section but I found some(Hyd) leveling jacks in Quartzsite brand new in the box with everything to mount at the consignment store and I think you can buy them for 500 bucks a set he has 4 sets I going to check on Pat a set and see what the best deal I can get for him and find out the lift height on the sets. let me know if I need to check for any of you guys

Clifford
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: Leveling Jack in Quartszsite

Post by Songman »

Clifford, is it just the jacks or is other stuff included. Obviously I will need them at some point. Not sure I can afford them right now though.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
muddog16
FMCA #: 387911
Bus Model: 1982 Prevost LeMirage

Post by muddog16 »

Clifford let me know what you find out and what all is included! Thanks Pat
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Clifford,keep an eye peeled for a seat and post for Cheryl ,Prefferably $100 or less so let sonja pic one :lol:
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Pat, the jacks were 14 inch travel and 4000# I don't think they will work for you but everything was there pump, wiring ,switches and manuals good luck

Clifford
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F185090
Bus Model: 1973 Model 05 Eagle

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Hello Guys,
I am not sure what you all think of my idea for leveling my Eagle, (If I ever get it done to drive anyhow) but I have been studying installing (Air Bags) on my back & front torsilastic tubes. Sonnie Gray has installed them on the back and Ken Turner has them on both the front and back and installation of them can be seen on their web sites.

I believe this to also be a good back up system if needed should your torsilastic in the back fail because of age while on the road. These air bags would be used "primarily" to level the bus at the end of a trip. Ken and Sonnie recommend carrying about 5-10 PSI in them when traveling or when they are not being used for lifting purposes to keep them actively engaged at all times with minimum tension on the bags.

Everyone knows I am converting my Eagle over the top of what you normally have to do with reinforcement etc. but that is just my hang up but I enjoy doing it that way and this idea of installing air bags is really exciting to consider because of the advantage of leveling your bus when parking for any length of time.

Things have to remembered, you cannot travel down the road with them fully activated without considering the pressure lifted off the Boggie axle and that is important in the handling of our Eagle's. Sonnie has installed a Tag axle and also has a air bag devise on that to equalize the pressure needed for proper use.

The air lift on a air bag is somewhere near 6 inches I am told, I am not sure but there is quite a bit of travel that can be used to make your rig set level for proper refer use etc. and comfort when you are sleeping in a level position.

This is probably not a project everyone wants to do nor should they attempt if they are unsure of design and possiblity of installing safely that can support the weight if needed. Reinforcing the undercarriage in the wheel wells is needed and a lot of planning to install the air bags safely and correctly. Sonnie has been using his for about 45,000 miles or so if I remember corrrectly and sonnie is my personal guru reference on Eagles on any design changes I plan to do.

The cost of the air bags and mounting hardware for each bag is near $125 each at least for now until the price of RUBBER goes up like fuel. I will be using 2 on each back drive wheel and one on each front axle, total (6) needed. Plus all the time to install and cost of metal to fabricate a safe mounting procedure for them. Again this is not for the person that is not as deeply involved in re-configuring their conversion as guys like Sonnie, Ken, Kentucky Steve and a few others like me are doing or have done. Don't let me talk you into something other than what you are satisfied with for you personally, Tommy Hamrick has a great set up also on his bus with a (Big Foot) type design of leveling jacks and again this is quite a design change that needs consideration to mount but a great looking job on Tommy's Eagle.

I know this is lengthy, (as usual) but enjoy posting again and about Eagles without hearing doubts about our plans for our Eagles from skeptics that think something can't be done. (Steve is putting in "4" slideouts mind you!!!) I have no doubt when completed that Eagle Manufacturing in Texas will surely look at Steve's Eagle design change and perhaps consider such for those that would want slide outs in their manufactured Eagle Bus. So my idea of air bags is not as enjoyable to view but one day be very usefull. Just remember to re-adjust the tension on the bags before leaving down the road!!!! An audible alarm would have to possibly be installed with a set pressure regulation that would sound when the bus is started to notify you to readjust the pressure to 5-10 lbs. for proper running height & safety.

Anyhow I guess I have taken enough of your time here, it feels so good to be back in control and working again on our Eagle after nearly 12 months hiatius, I want so much for us to attend TBR & Flywheeler rally soon.

Gary
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Gary, I have the drawing with the valve sizes and location for that set up in my Model 15 manuals if you would like them maybe I can get Paul or Dale to post them for you as that was a setup Eagle used for the motor home chassis. Good luck my friend

Clifford
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Gary, I had thought about air bags at one point but quite a few people said that even with only 5 lbs of pressure in the bags that they thought it would interfere with the handling of the bus.

Mounting the rear bags seems pretty straightforward. The way you have to mount the front looks a little scary to me. Is Ken the guy with the 'pipes' blog site? That is the only pictures I have ever seen of bags on an Eagle.

Clifford, if you have something you can send me I will post it.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Dale, send me yours or Don address you know I can't send photos or scan that's what we pay you for.Look at Charlies web Tejas Bus he has been doing it for years on the Eagles so has Southern Oregon Diesel Gary has a good point about the back up but over the years I have only saw one failure and that was mine due Southern Oregon's goof up good luck

Clifford
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Question,is this set up in place of the shock absorbers or in addition to.