Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Leveling Jack in Quartszsite

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: Leveling Jack in Quartszsite

Post by Songman »

Van, what I have seen on that other blog is that pads for the air bags are bolted to the top of the drive axle in the rear, and a stand is made that attaches to the top of the suspension in the front. It is the front one that scares me.

Clifford, send to me at Don's shop at:

Clean Cam Technology Systems
c/o Dale Houston
6300 Seven Seas Avenue
Bakersfield, CA 93308
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Great idea Clifford to post the information here.

Now get to work Dale and "git 'er done"! ;)

I have been toying with that idea for years every since I saw Ken's site and have had the pleasure of seeing Sonnie's.

I think you just want enough air to keep the bag slightly inflated to keep it's shape. With the low psi I wouldn't think it would affect the ride.

Nice to see you posting Gary!
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F185090
Bus Model: 1973 Model 05 Eagle

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Hello again guys,

Well I am glad to have seen so much interest in the air bags and I hope to answer all of the posts.

First of all, is anyone else having trouble with having to (LOG IN) each time to make a post besides me even though you click the box to keep me logged in?? You might know I forgot my darn password and had to go through the process to get a new one. Anyhow!!

Back to our Eagle.
Van, the air bags I will install are to be used in addition to the shocks, my plan is to only use them for leveling the bus at a camp site etc. I believe using them to raise for running down the road will cause problems with the Bogie Wheels. If they are needed in an emergency because of a failed torsion bar then that is a different story, you can raise your bus to the height you have set it to if you documented that height before running to assure that by using the air bags for use down the road you will be quite close in bogie wheel road pressure needed for safe operation.

Now, Cliff, you bet I would love to get any and all the information you have from Eagle to do this, you can post it to me any way you wish, I am sure if it is possible to put in the Tech Section of this board that maybe others will consider doing it if they so desire. Let me know how I can receive this from you or Paul.

Someone asked if the website by Ken Turner is the (PIPES) fellow and the answer is yes it is he. I will use his ideas to get started but am sure I will (Reinvent the wheel as usual) but will document it as I do to help others eliminate my mistakes if they wish to do this also. I calle Ken a couple of weeks ago and we talked for maybe an hour, a great guy to visit with and he verbally went over his design on the phone as I looked at his web site with questions. Ken did not post the photos of the finished all welded and supported project but I will after it is all installed.

Another thought, with the air bags you will never bottom out your axle's up against the rubber bumpers that are there in case you drop in a hole etc.with one of your wheels for the axles to make contact with the air bags instead of the frame of the bus. I believe the small pressure of the air bags will soften the blow if this happen and the rubber bumper will no longer be of any use. Now this is only an assumption on my part as I look at what I want to do so far.

Another question for the experienced converters here. What number of (sikoflex) should I purchase to mount my new bay doors on the driver side I will be making? There is so many different application numbers of this stuff. I welded 18 gaged metal on the curb side and you know what happened, what a job to make them come out good after the shrinkage but I got it done. Don't want to lose that time again. I have never used (sikoflex) so this is a new experience to put my trust in,I love welding but hate warpage to bondo in etc. sucks!!

I hope I have answered all the post replies to my question and I appreciate the freed back and will decide to do this for sure very soon. Knowing me it'll be a "GO" just for the challenge.

Thanks again, and your right Paul, I to am glad to be posting again.

Gary
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Gary,

What browser are you using? I am not having any problems with having to log in over and over. It could be a problem with how your browser handles cookies. The only other thing I can think of might be about how long you are going between posts. I have noticed that if I walk away from the computer for half and hour that when I come back the forum has logged me out. I will check on that to see if that might be your issue.

I will watch this closely as I am interested in air bags. I love the idea of the big hydraulics that can lift the entire bus off the ground but airbags can be done for a lot less I think. The other thing about hydraulics that I have mentioned before is soft ground.

Gary, I may be the only one here who hasn't seen all this great work you have done on your Eagle. Sounds like it is time for a project thread with lots of pictures so we can all learn from your experiences.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Dale,

I too have problems every once in a while. Even if I can access the site, showing me logged in, I will close it and then come back to the log in screen. Maybe three or four times this week.

I have noticed ever since 1/1/2009 things don't work like they used to. I will get a message that my cookies is not set right and to check it. I have never changed it and still get this message occasionally.

No biggy, by the way I use IE. I have firefox, but I would have to start all over with cookies unless there is another way.

Gary,

It will be great to see how you install the air bags, because I know you will document every step.

You have generated my interest again!

Thanks.............I think! ;)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Must be the Y2K9 bug. They were just a few years late! :lol:

I'll check on it.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Gary,

Good to see you posting again buddy. And this is a very interesting topic too. I wonder? Why would the air bags have to even be a part of the suspension at all? Would it be possible to have an air leveling system separate from the suspension. Just thinking out loud here.

Kentucky Steve
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Steve, the factory installed air bag are separate from the suspension they are for leveling only but Southern Oregon incorprates them into the suspension on the 01.I am sending Dale the info from the model 15 manual to post for Gary and you guys

Clifford
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F185090
Bus Model: 1973 Model 05 Eagle

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Hey guys,
Man talk about pissed. I just wrote one of my long post and tried to put the URL for my website on the message and it just went Poof in space I guess. So, I will rewrite another one but only shorter now.

I will post updates on my website that I did nearly a year ago but never posted them. When they are complete I will post on this bb'd so you can see them. I know Jim Shepherd asked me about them some time ago but I was just not in the position at that time to have any interest in posting them.

I will post my website now again if you don't already have it, the information on my bus is on the last 10 folders or so out of 197 folders. Before this message goes in cyberspace I will try to do this again.

http://community.webshots.com/user/converter101

the actual first folder with bus photos is:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... 6202AjVNJe

I hope the two address above come out so you can click on them.
Gary
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Gary, you asked about Sikaflex. I will start another thread to cover that subject (keeps the subjects separate and searchable).

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.