Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Trailways Red...

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Trailways Red...

Post by luvrbus »

Manny don't give up I will call Dan and see if they stamped it any other place on the bus he doesn't have internet service now or he could tell us on the board.Have you checked inside the electrical panel under the drivers window I have seen them there before on the 05 models.Manny check for any 4 numbers starting with 79 or 80 Good luck Manny I have one more idea check the rear drive axle for numbers most of those have never been replaced and I can trace it from the rockwell serial number will take me awhile but it can be done.FWIW all Carolina Coach Line buses were renumbered to a 5 digit number instead of the normal 4 digits and 85 was the first 2 numbers

Clifford
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Manny,

Have you tried to do a reverse vin search online somewhere? I am not sure they can get back further than the 1978 year which was when the government started tracking vin numbers more closely or not. We had a local constable here that could back track like an old hound dog and he'd moonlight as a private eye. You may need to try something such as this to get to the number you are searching for. I still have all the old framing from the back of the bus lying in the garage and tonight I am going down there and search on them to see if there is any numbers on them for you. I'll let you know what I find.

.........Kentucky Steve ..............
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Manny, no luck, I searched every piece of the old tube frame I had down there and I see no sign of my vin number on any of them. Let me know if you need help with the Kentucky Government search.

........Kentucky Steve .............
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Thanks Kentucky Steve. If you mean something like Carfax, we've already done that and got nowhere. We actually discovered more when we traced it through the FL DMV where it is now titled, but that info only went back as far as NC, that's why we are pursuing NC further. As far as the electrical panel, etc., I have looked everywhere I am physically able to access where there might have been the actual VIN. I just can't believe that it's legal to re-title a vehicle and issue a brand new VIN without keeping any record of the transfer, especially on something that use to be a commercial vehicle, but apparently it is. It does sound like maybe we need a private i, lol. Do you think your person in KY govt. would have a better chance calling the NC DMV than we are having (being private citizens)?
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Manny,

The problem you are having is getting someone to look up the old title which is probably only on microfilm. I am betting it has to be done on a walk through basis. I will call my connection (family member) at their office in the morning and see what exactly the state of Kentucky's process is. I will see what can be done about getting through to the DMV at NC also. Would you mind to send me your Vin number just in case?

.......Kentucky Steve............
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Sure thing...1HEMC40D4JK685610. The people in KY were much easier to talk to, they just didn't have any records on our bus. Talking to the people in NC is like trying to get through Ft. Knox. After you stay on hold forever, you can eventually get through to someone in vehicle services, but they won't ever let me get through to the people in the History or Records dept.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Manny,85610 is a 1974 model 05 Carolina Bus Line I will have you the Eagle serial number in few days. FWIW it was a 4 speed std transmission, no power steering ,8v71 engine 244 hp, 3.73 rear gear, heating and air with tinted windows and overhead luggage with reading lights good luck

Clifford
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Manny, lets see what Clifford comes up with. Looks like he's already ahead of us.

Steve
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

We had previously looked into deciphering that VIN #, but it wasn't adding up according to the code the DMV gave us for the meaning of the numbers and letters, and also, we assumed when they re-titled it and issued the new #, there was no correlation to it's original. How can we be sure of what you suspect? If so, we are elated!!! We do know our bus was originally stick, and it does have an 8V71 engine. I thought it was closer to a 1970 because of the electical panel which matched pictures of other electrical panels from that year. Also, one of my bay doors showed an original tag that said "Bus and Car" I may have that stated incorrectly, but I thought those particular buses were made in Germany.
I would also still like to know if it was Carolina Bus Line's procedure to paint their suspensions in the Trailways Red.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

I have also noticed when I've been in the spare tire bay, that the steering gear box appears to have been replaced with a new one, and it now has power steering. That new gear has a sticker on it identifying it as a Silver Eagle part # from the old Silver Eagle plant in TX. I need to go back and take a picture of that.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851