Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Trailways Red...

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Re: Trailways Red...

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Manny,

Clifford can explain it better than I can. The last 5 digits are the give away. The 85 (I think) meant that it went to Carolina bus lines and then they (I think) assigned it one of their numbers for one in the fleet (I think). I recall reading about this somewhere recently. Hope this helps you to sleep till Clifford gets back on here and explains it better.

Steve
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Manny,

Some of the steering gear mounts had a problem of not enough bracing so you might want to check to see that the additional braces were welded in next to the mounts. There was a problem with the welds cracking around them and those little braces ( about 1 inch wide by about 3 inches long) was all it took to correct the problem but we just want you to check for safety reasons. They are on the forward bulkhead to the front of the spare tire area.

Steve
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Will do Kentucky Steve.

Getting back to Clifford's deductions...you must have records that I can't see because when I checked out the roster posted under the production link site, it takes Carolina Coach purchases through 1975, but the #s (85610) don't jive. Are Carolina Coach and Carolina Bus Lines one in the same? You must be up, right Clifford, lol, you can't leave us hanging tonight, ha ha, especially since the wife and I just woke up (we had fallen asleep in front of the tv) and I thought I'd check this board one more time before I turned in for the night and since this news we are all charged up. How will we sleep tonight? :shock:
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Lets start a lottery on Manny's Vin number.

I'm betting a one beer (of a quality brand of course) he's has some where in the neighborhood of Vin number 9330. :D

Anybody else?
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Manny, for whatever reason there was 8 of those belonging to Carolina Bus Lines that were renumbered in 1975 my guess is there was conflict in the numbers some where and your was Eagle number 9060 and changed in Dallas from 85198 to 85610 maybe a Trailways thing.I do have a lot of records on the buses that Dale is going to post on the board for you guys when I get time.In my searches I have found that some of the buses were sold for scrap and the titles used on other buse of the the same year model a lot of this happen when they were sold at the Dallas yard.This is the best I can do for right now but I will keep digging through the 5 boxes of records I have and see what else I can come up with.The Bus and Car Eagles are pain to trace and the Brownsville Eagles with 19000 numbers are fairly easy.Numbers on some of the Yahoo boards and ours are not always correct I have one that shows it was a Rocky Mountain Trailways and I have the paper work showing Vanderhoff and Son being the owner from day one and that is were my bus came from. Good Luck

Clifford
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Well, the latest saga in our journey is that after many phone calls to the NC DMV we finally reached someone that was making an honest effort to help. My wife spoke with her on Monday and said she would look into it herself, she was one of the administrators...so we called again today, and whatever records she found she put in the mail on Monday, expecting that they would arrive today, but of course they did not, and tomorrow we are leaving for a few days away in the bus. We were hoping to have some news before we leave, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. We'll keep you posted.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Manny, I hope KY can give you some answers I found 2 more 85610 numbers that went through Trailways from Carolina Bus Lines.1 was retitled in Illinois as 1990 year model converted by Traditiaonal Coach your lucky those buses had to be 95% rebuilt before they could be retitled. good luck

Clifford
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Manny,
As soon as we get our heads outta the snow around here I will go over to the DMV in Frankfort with my Aunt and see what we can dig up for you. Give us a day or two to dig out the government offices.

......Kentucky Steve ...........
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

That is so kind of you KY Steve. We can't believe you are so willing to help considering all that's going on in your life right now. Whenever you do get to that DMV, see what you can find out about certificates issued to a Louis Sharp. He was the owner of Hercules Coach (809 S. 8th Street, Louisville, KY). We were told today that even though he did not need a title issued on our bus while he was converting it, he may have obtained a certificate of ownership (???) or something to that effect. We believe he converted many buses, so he must have had some main source for them. We keep going back to Carolina Coach...because we were sent an appraisal that a previous owner thought may have been on our bus (but it was not) but it too came from Hercules and the VIN on that bus showed it was one of Carolina Coaches. Another interesting thing that Manny discovered was that that bus had the same tire size as ours (12 x 22.5), and the roof was raised.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Manny , that is called a origin of manufacture title that title is causing me problems trying to chase the paper work on your bus. good luck

Clifford