Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Trailways Red...

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Re: Trailways Red...

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Hummm, sounds like maybe Hercules did only the conversion of the coach for a customer and sent the paper work to them to take to their DMV to transfer it. What state is it titled in now?
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

here is some info I saved from somewhere. It seems to have come from the factory. If your VIN was correctly changed it may boil down to the last 5 digits.

Ok here is the deal with a Eagle VIN# .....here at Silver Eagle we only really need the last 7 digits to decipher the coach.
The total VIN is of course 17 digits by law.

The first digit is 1, which signifies plant # 1 which is Brownsville. A # 2 would be the Harlingen plant and that would be a Suburban 2 axle produced for several years.

The second digit is E which signifies Eagle
The third and fourth digits are U and A which signify United States
The fifth digit is just filler
The sixth digit signifies engine cylinders 6 or 8
The seventh digit is also filler but sometimes represents the transmission A for automatic
The eighth and ninth digits are a calculation of the previous digits and are assigned by the computer
The tenth and eleventh digits are also assigned by the computer
Now we are down to the last 6 digits which really tell us what is what...
Twelve and thirteen tell us what coach you have , for example
02 Trailways Model 10
03 All other seated model 10
04 Austrailian RHD
05 Suburban 10S
06 Suburban TW
07 Model 15
08 Model 15 TW/GH
09 Model 20

And 14 through 17 tell us what production series and or options ...
So to take your VIN and look in the book, I can tell that ....

The coach was produced on 3-26-1982 our production number 82-061 the 61st coach built that year in that series for the North Atlanta Airport, they assigned it number # 322

The 8A would say 8V92 with a Automatic, but since yours says 8B16 , I would assume it was a 8V92 with a 4 or 5 speed .....

Anyone out there feel free to correct me if I have miss stated anything ....

The only other thing that comes to my mind is that for several years the Harlingen plant was doing rehabs ...mainly taking model 05s and upgrading to 10s, but they also did renovations on trade in coaches ...that is the only other thing that I know of .....the quest continues ...If you registered the coach and did not have any problems, then the calculation of the B16 is correct ..usually at the DMV they kick out the VIN if it does not calculate properly
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Ok Clifford, thank you for your help. Here is what I found on my engine: there was a group of numbers in different clusters...I don't think this is anything but here we go: 2362 4112 6373 6111176. These numbers were stamped on the cylinder head facing me on the right side as I was standing looking at the engine. I also took a look at that first bay but there was nothing there. The bay is covered with plywood and carpet. There may be something behind the carpet and plywood, I'll try to get behind them both and see one day. Let me know if that sequence of #s mean anything to you.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Kentucky Steve, our bus is currently titled in FL where we live. We have physical proof that it was titled in NC in 2005 and on that document it shows the previous title # which the NC DMV told me was from 1990. We are waiting to receive the history from NC in the mail. We'e hoping it will unlock some of the mystery...

This search has been an ongoing project of ours ever since we got the bus two years ago, but we're hoping with the resources of knowledge from all of you on this board, we'll be able to finally solve the mystery.

By the way, speaking of projects, I am so amazed with the quality of the work you are doing on your bus! I visit your website often to check out your recent posts. Not sure I would be up to such a big task. I think I would get burnt out. You may have a future at Silver Eagle Mnftg. someday....
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Manny,I'm Headed to Cliffords tommorow and will take some pictures of the locations to look,that might help ya out a little,I'll post them tommorow night :)
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Well we made it down to Clifford and Sonja's yesterday but after talking with Clifford about the location where the numbers would be and after looking at the rear of his eagles realized that the location of yours was indeed removed .As a result there was actually nothing to take a picture of. the only other thing I'm curious of was whether or not your manufacturer's data plate is still mounted under the new panel alongside the drivers seat.
Clifford's other eagle had one mounted there. Mine (89) had it mounted above the drivers window .Good Luck :)
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Thanks for trying Van. We do appreciate it. I have checked next to the driver's seat, there is nothing there; and when they raised the roof they replaced the front cap, so no luck there either. We're hoping that when we get that report from the NC DMV we might have some new information. I'll keep you posted.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Manny, you need to look for the engine serial number stamped on the block. It is on the right front top side of the engine block, just below the cylinder head.

It looks like this:

The top number is the engine serial number and the bottom number is the engine model designation.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

I PM'd this info to Manny but thought it bears repeating out here in public.

This is a view of Manny's engine for reference.

---

I did a little further research today. Older 8V71s had the engine ID in a different place than newer ones so it depends on the year of your engine.

Assuming your engine is close to the year of your bus, the ID would not be where I suggested. Early 8V71s would be on the opposite side near the center of the block.

So... for you from the angle I am seeing. Look to your right side. Down on the block just below the air box doors you will see the pad just like in the other picture. Between the two center ports.

The picture I posted earlier is a later engine and the pad is on the upper left side from the view you posted.

Hope this helps. The formatting of the numbers is the same as what I posted before. Top number is engine serial, bottom number is designation.

Good luck,
Dale
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Well, we are STILL waiting to get that report from the NC DMV, it's been about a month. We tried to call them again today but couldn't even get through. The last time we spoke to them (about a week ago) they said our request would most likely have to go to a separate department that works on histories and searches microfilm, but apparently that department has no working phones (???) because they won't let me talk to anyone in that department. I know you offered to help us before Kentucky Steve with your connections in KY govt., does anyone out there have connections in the state of NC? We are starting to get discouraged...again. :(
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851