Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

New caps and sides - what is needed?

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

New caps and sides - what is needed?

Post by Songman »

Okay, so the new bus I bought has already been raised 8" but the caps and sides are not on. I have new R&M front and rear caps and side panels. What else is needed to attach all of this stuff and get it on the bus?

I know people use SikaFlex. Which one? How expensive is it? Where do I get it?

Do I need rivets at all or is the SikaFlex enough? Anything else needed?

Thanks.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: New caps and sides - what is needed?

Post by luvrbus »

Dale, try this place you can ask questions and find out what is best for are you going to do 1 pc or 2 www.ellsworth.com they have the best prices and the Skilfex will be fresh it has a short shelf life so be careful buying just anywhere
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I just finished a small project (toper for my service truck) and ended up using 8 tubes of the stuff. A bus would, obviously take more.

There was a lot of talk on the MAK board. The best I could get from a lot of reading is that Sikaflex-252 is the best product. I ordered mine from the folks Clifford recommended. Cost was $9.60.

I believe that the manual says to make sure that you use spacers so that the surfaces are 0.100 inches apart. I used tooth picks.

There was quite a bit of discussion about using a primer. Boogiethecat said that you must use primer. I looked on the Sikaflex site and did not see that it was mandatory. My frame was painted with Rust Bullet just before I applied the aluminum skin. I skuffed up the skin pretty good with course sandpaper. Adhesion seems very good, but the job is only about a month old.

I think it is the best product to use, but pretty pricey.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
ArtGill
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F293518
Bus Model: 1989 NJT model 20

Post by ArtGill »

I used the Sikaflex 252 when I put the sides over the windows that I removed. I took a grinder to the steal surfaces that I was going to bond to, used the cleaner and primer. To get my spacing, I went to Lowes and purchased a bag of plastic spacers that you use to space tiles. My siding has been on for 5 years or so with no problems. The one tool you will want to purchase is an air operated corking gun. Harbor Freight has one for under $20.00. The Sika is stiffer than corking and you hand will get sore. With the air gun you can put down an even bead and do it fast. You have a limited time from the time you start until you set the panel.. The other concern is how to keep pressure on the panel until the Sika sets. I parked next to a building and wedged 2x4's between the building and the bus.

I would strongly consider using the Sika system as they recommend. I just didn't like the vision of losing a piece of siding going down the road at 60 mph.

Oh, by the way wear gloves!

Art