Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Battery bank

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Battery bank

Post by buscrazyinFL »

I hope some one can answer this question. My Eagle was converted in 1988 by Hercules Coach out of KY, which is no longer in business. Not knowing how the electrical wiring was done especialy the 12v, last weekend I started to study it. What I found out is that I have a 1000 watt inverter from TRIPP LITE, a battery charger from INTELI-POWER, and three 12v deep cycle RV Marine batteries from Interstate Battery. It also has a battery isolater. Here is my question: is the 1000 watt inverter enough to run the 110 power inside my bus? I'm not sure what the standard or "norm" is. I have not had any problem with the 12v system. I think the inverter is running the TV and maybe the fridge, but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if I need more batteries and/or a bigger inverter because in my work van I have a 2500 watt inverter to run all of my key machines and power tools so I'm guessing 1000 watt might not be enough for my bus.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Battery bank

Post by rusty »

Buscrazy This is one subject ( among many ) That I do not know very much about. But the inverter sounds a little small if it is used to run a refrigerator. And it sounds like the battery bank is a little small if you are doinng much dry docking. There are others on the board that will chime in.

Good Luck Wayne
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Post by Eagle Andy »

Hey Buscrazy , If it helps I have 8 6 volt golf cart batteries and a 2,000 watt trace inverter with charger. I also have solar panels on the roof that keep the batteries charged when Iam not on shore power. I can run the fridge and TV with no problems. I don't know if this helps.
Last edited by Eagle Andy on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Manny, how large is the refigerator most of us use a least a 2000w inverter with a 625 ah battery bank a equal of 6 wet cell golf cart batteries or Agm batteries.
Your amp hrs are a important item in building a system.Most of the time a 1000w inverter will not start a fridge and the 3 batteries will not run it very long with out a recharge.Let us know what size of fridge you have .Here is a little info for you when try to price out a battery bank that a battery supplier gave me
cost for amp hour
AGM $1.60 per amp hr
Gell $2.10
Wet $0.70 based on the Trojan 105 $0.50 for Sams or Costco golf cart batteries
I find this site very helpful for battery , inverter and wiring size information http://www.windsun.com good luck
Clifford