Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

A Question for ALL Members and non Members

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: A Question for ALL Members and non Members

Post by Songman »

Paul,

I am out of town for the weekend but I can take some pics on Monday. Here are a couple I took of Hal's doors at Quartzsite last year. I am not sure if this is his own design or a copy or something else. I think mine are simpler than this. It appears that the benefit to Hal's is that all the arms are right on the front edge instead of extending back into the bay. Mine extend back into the bay a little. Of course, the bad part of Hal's is that they would have a longer swing out when opening than mine do.

From what I have seen, I don't think it would be very hard for someone with a little fabricating skill to build a set of pantograph doors. The hard part is getting the geometry setup right and we have a few to copy so that wouldn't be a problem. We have talked about building a set for Don to go on the 10.

Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Dale, thats the pic of the hinge that you put up on page two of this thread for me. Thanks again, I must have been having a bad night. I was going to show wayne what I had come up with to use for the concealed part of my door hinge and then to show the rotery latches. Those hinges work allong the same lines as the ones I made for the main door and they are a stock item from Allegis. I will work on getting them in this post.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

This thread is getting interesting! Great pics of the hinge Dale!

I sure like Hal's design, or whoever it was. Nice tuck away feature. I need to see some up close and personal. Hopefully when Sonnie gets his done he will let me take lots of pics and get measurements! :lol:
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Why not copy MCI's door they don't swing out as far as Eagles or Hal's the doors on the model 25 don't swing that far out.The doors on my MCI was the only thing I thought was neat till a cable broke what a pita to replace

Clifford
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Clifford,
The cable system in an MCI uses up a lot of space in the bay if I am remembering right. Especially at the top of the bay. That would be the downside for me. The rods on my doors hug the walls pretty close and don't take up a lot of room. A man could probably put in another thin wall that would isolate the rods if they were worried about it. I don't think I will ever have my bays packed that tightly.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

I just went out and took a couple of pictures of my bay hinges. I will post a picture in a few minutes when I get one edited.

My bay doors stick out about 18" at full extension on the upswing. When they are all the way up, they are about 8" from the side of the bus.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Here is the picture...

The little red handle is the lock-up that I was talking about. It hooks into the white slot at the top right of the picture. As I said, the doors hold themselves up just fine. The door is halfway up and is holding itself in the picture.

Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Dale, what kind of weatherstripping did they use at the top of the door? Also is there a rain gutter at the top of the door afixed to the bus body?

Thanks Kentucky Steve
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Not sure about the weatherstrip, Steve, and we are on the road now so I can't look. I think it is just rubber stripping attached to the door. There is no rain gutter above the bay doors. I'll have to look closer when we get home to see if it looks like the previous owner took something off or it it just didn't have it at all.

I'm also going to take pictures of Don's Country Coach. It also has pantograph doors but it uses a different hinge system. It is made of flat steel and looks like it folds pretty flat against the door when the door is closed. Unfortunately, we won't be back home until Monday.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN