Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

A Question for ALL Members and non Members

This is a public forum for the discussion of all things Eagle. Whether it be an upcoming Eagles International event or the history of Silver Eagle. Trolling or spamming will not be tolerated.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

A Question for ALL Members and non Members

Post by Dreamscape »

Now that I have your attention! Had to do this to maybe take some away from Van's Project Page! :lol: :lol: :lol: Wow, the site Favorite! ;) Good for You!

Anyway, I would like to know who has changed out their heavy bay swing up doors for either cafe or pantograph style. I know what Dales response will be! Ha Ha. Hey Dale, have you ever hit your head on one of those? :)

Please explain why you made the change and show some pictures of your work, or maybe someone else built them, who cares. :lol:

We have 58 members, so there should be that many responses. Even if you don't own an Eagle (YET), ask questions anyway. We're here to share! Don't be bashful! ;)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: A Question for ALL Members and non Members

Post by luvrbus »

Pantograph door I would go for but I am not a cafe door person it takes 30in to open one and most of the time you need to open both to reach the area you are trying to get too and sooner or later the ones I 've been around after years of use they weld a upright between them to stop the rattles and flying open.Sonnie is working on a new system for his and he will get it right I think but each to his own I just buy the lifts about every 4 years and keep on ticking

Clifford
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Paul,

I am working on mine now. I have to change to cafe for the slideouts. I got a slideout in the way of almost every dern one of em. Personaly I think we (all of us bus owners that is) can do better than the original weatherstriping method. I will soon be posting some progress pics.
;)
....................Kentucky Steve ...............
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Hard to miss the doors with 4 slides huh Steve,Sonnie is working on his using the trunks closers off the GM and Ford products and specials hinges.I know he is like me when it comes to posting photos but he could get Darinn or Mike to do it for him may give you some ideas Good luck
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

At TBR this year, Sonnie did mention that he was designing some pantograph type doors. He said he gave away some cafe door frames, so it must be good!

Whatever he comes up with will be first class I'm sure.

Can't wait to see what he comes up with, just hope he will share it when he is finished. If not I'm sure one of us would be glad to help him post pics! ;)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Clifford, thats one of my problem area's, the hinges that is. I would like to have something hidden. I have been playing with some new old stock latches from my late 70s early 80s collection of leftovers for chevy trucks. I worked at an ambulance factory and they had the best system I ever remember for cafe doors. Its just that it has been over 20 years and many a beer ago since working there. I will be posting some pics soon of what I am thinking of doing in more detail. The pics are of a local depts, fire and rescue vehicals doors and hardware. In my opinion when it comes to reliabilaty as well as looks you cant beat the rescue vehical design. It just my be more that the average bus nut may want to fabricate but you know me. ;)

sheres tha speel cheeck :lol: :lol:
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Steve, Buck Bolding has hidden hinges on his cafe doors plus he has no outside latches or handles that is his Eagle on the home page with the slide.I will give him a call and see if he will post some photos.Someway we have to get these guys on the board every one of the owners have somthing unique about their coaches.FWIW love the way you answered Teke on BNO I better check the name I may have the wrong owner good luck
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Paul ,mine are the horizontal bifold doorsand I haven't gave them much thought though as to what I want to do with them yet . seems to me I'd rater take a door to the head as opposed to one in the webles if ya know what I mean :lol:
rhbelter
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F92654
Bus Model: Eagle -01 1967 Cummins M-11 10 spd OD RR

Post by rhbelter »

Ahoy, Eagles,

My -01 doors were pretty much 'beat-up' beyond saving. (They were NOT pantograph doors). I built new doors, hinged as original with rubber hinges. They are a fair amount lighter than the original. I moved the original 'hold-up' fixtures (a very nice scheme) so that the open doors were more vertical for less interference. No problems with them, or the hinges. I'd NOT swap them for cafe doors. Only potential problem for some folk is the swing out distance while opening. It's never bothered me.

Enjoy /s/ Bob
Bob Belter Carmel CA ---- Eagle -01 /w/ Cummins M-11/ Roadranger ten speed RTO1110
EAGLE78550
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 15-45 Entertainer "Gertrude" from the movie "The Rocker "

Post by EAGLE78550 »

Ok I will chime in....
From the entertainer standpoint , the cafe doors swing out too far as previously mentioned and they park the coaches too close together at the venues ...and from also when you are parked at the curb the cafe doors can hit the curb and ding the corners depending on the crown of the street. I know Craig at SEB has designed a door on the new 25 that really hugs the beltline of the coach and goes almost straight up with very little outward travel .....maybe he would create some sort of retrofit kit that could be adapted to the earlier eagles ...I know his doors are much much lighter than the older coaches and when they are up the bottom of the door does not extend down into the bay opening so you have full use of the bay opening which is nice for loading large pieces of equipment and or supplies ...just my .02 FWIW
I do the difficult everyday ...the impossible just takes a little longer.