Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Any Good Model 15 Swing Out Radiators Out There?

Got an Eagle for sale? Looking for an Eagle? How about parts? As long as it is Eagle or bus conversion related, feel free to post it here. This is a public forum.
NOTE: Be smart about what personal information you post in your ad.
PAmodel15
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 15

Any Good Model 15 Swing Out Radiators Out There?

Post by PAmodel15 »

If there is anyone out there with a good Model 15 Radiator, swing out style, please let me know. I have mine out at repair but it is in really sad shape.

It would need to be within say 500 miles or so from PA, zip 18707. I would be driving to pick it up. Shipping is crazy expensive for these things.
PAModel15
Jack Weigand
Mountain Top PA
1989 Model 15
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Any Good Model 15 Swing Out Radiators Out There?

Post by beltguy »

Jack, I would not bother with a used radiator. Unless you really know the seller and are sure of the condition, you can be buying another persons problem.

Most of us have had our radiators re-cored. That way, you take advantage of the latest tube/fin technology (much better than the older technology) AND you can have the radiator shop add an extra row or two of tubes.

A good truck radiator shop will use your top and bottom tanks. Still not cheap, but consider the cost if your radiator does not cool and you crack a head.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
PAmodel15
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PAmodel15 »

Jim,

Thanks for the reply and advice. My radiator is at a shop and they want $2300, is that considered the norm price wise?
PAModel15
Jack Weigand
Mountain Top PA
1989 Model 15
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Jack, that seems a bit high to me. That said, I think I paid about $1500 in 2005.

I am pretty sure that someone has posted information about the original Eagle radiator supplier in Texas. I think I have read about folks paying a bit over $1000 for a core by an internet vendor. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Shipping of just the core should not be all that bad.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Jack, Atlas Radiator in Corpus Christi Texas made the radiator they will sell you a complete unit new tanks and all ready to install for less than 2 grand with shipping, they will probably have your buses serial number on record there and know what radiator was installed

Detroit Radiator is where Jefferson Bus buys his for Eagles so they must be cheaper because Jerry is cheap except when you are buying parts from him lol sorry Jerry the devil made me say that

Clifford
PAmodel15
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PAmodel15 »

Clifford,

Thanks for the input. Just got an email back from Atlas. They said they will not make me a radiator, it was a bad design and they won't make any more. I will give Detroit Radiator a try to see what they have to say. I also have a local guy stopping by to look at it.

I have a good radiator from a model 10 6V92, non swing out but the guy working on my bus is afraid it won't cool the bus. I talked with Eric Brown today, it was his radiator, and he feels it would work no problem. I have a cool way to make the model 10 radiator swing out but I need to be able to talk my guy into it. Maybe Detroit will have something.

Again thanks for your help.
PAModel15
Jack Weigand
Mountain Top PA
1989 Model 15
Bustyme
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: 398939
Bus Model: 1966 Eagle 01, 8V92TA, HT-740, Stock width & height (FOR SALE (805) 238-7122)
1983 Eagle 10, 8V92TA, HT-740, 102" wide 7" roof raise

Post by Bustyme »

Jack,
When I had the radiator done on the 01 to handle the 8V-92 it was $2300. The radiator shop had an engineer that was familiar with the DD 2-cycles and new exactly what to spec. We added extra capacity at the same time because I plumbed the generator into it and got rid of the stand alone radiator from the PO. There are a couple of things to consider because the radiator is mounted on the side. This is what I remember: went from 5 to 6 rows, don't use dimpled tubes, 9 fins/in from 11 fins/in., on the tubes(better air flow), you want the fins with perforations not solid, and make it as big as you can get in there. The DD water pump flows a huge amount of gpm so they don't recommend the dimpled tubes. If you are considering a big motor you want all the cooling capacity you can get. Plumb for spray bars when you design the mounts, shrouds etc. Out west we use them a lot. It is so cool (no pun intended) when you hit a long grade and the temp gauge sits at 185-190 and it's 90 deg. outside!!

Hope this helps.

Randy Coons
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Ok Jack your's must have the inlet and outlets on each end with the tubes running horizontal and the inlets are not on the top and bottom and your 15 probably has a hyd fan is that right if it does a standard model 10 radiator will not cool it.

They built me a radiator 4x4 by 7 rows they would not use Eagles designs for it either cost me 2000 bucks in 2005 but it kept the 8v92 cool without a mister system and I live next door to Hell in the summer time Mohave Valley AZ a 120 is common in the summer time

good luck
Clifford
PAmodel15
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PAmodel15 »

Randy,

Thanks, I will keep all of this info for tomorrow. Looks like I have a job ahead of me. I was looking on some other bus forums and they all seem to be talking increased efficiency fan blades also. My main problem is the crossover tank on the bottom of the radiator , it is all rotted out. I have the capabilities of building that here in my shop. I will start on that tomorrow. From the way it sounds I should keep the same size radiator, which is as big as will fit in the bay.

Thanks for the input. The bus is now Emerald green, looks sweet. As soon as I can move it outside I will post some photos. I don't know what you guys know about Rat Rods but my bus will be a Rat Bus, HA HA! Just enough bus to get by.
PAModel15
Jack Weigand
Mountain Top PA
1989 Model 15
PAmodel15
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PAmodel15 »

Clifford,

You are good, you are correct. The Bus Whisperer, nice. I will get back to them with that information, maybe now they can help. OK tomorrow will be a busy day. Thanks for the direction.
PAModel15
Jack Weigand
Mountain Top PA
1989 Model 15