Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

8 Kw generator

Got an Eagle for sale? Looking for an Eagle? How about parts? As long as it is Eagle or bus conversion related, feel free to post it here. This is a public forum.
NOTE: Be smart about what personal information you post in your ad.
van
Club Member
Club Member

8 Kw generator

Post by van »

Any opinions on the generator, or is this a waste of time? Thanks! :)
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/1766239413.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Mellis
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F406126
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle 10

Re: 8 Kw generator

Post by John Mellis »

Van,
No experience with a Cat/ diesel gen but I feel the hours are on the high side. I could be way off so maybe someone else will have a better opinion. Presently i like what you are going to do for a while. This will give you time to decide if you like a gen in that rear compartment & whether you will need a larger one & so on & so forth.
John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Van, that is a Perkins diesel which Cat owns Perkins calls it a 400 series and Cat a 3300 series good little engines only draw back when they get about 6000 hrs they leak fuel and it cost 1500 bucks to stop that fuel leak.
The price is about 1/2 of a new Powertech 8kw hold out for a 10 or 12 kw you may need 3 or 4 AC's living here in the desert lol

good luck
Clifford
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Post by Eagle Andy »

Hey Van , Bus is looking god buddy .I would at least go look at it and listen to it run. 1100 hrs is not all that much for a gen . And I think thats what fortravels use. As far as the fuel leak I have no idea the Godfather would have the knowlege on that but it's going to take a long time to get 6,000 hrs on that things . Just my thoughts Iam sure there will be others .
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Andy, Cat uses that engine in their small line of equipment I hated it when one of the injection pumps would start leaking about a 3000 dollar bill when Darr Equipment did the work lol and you know why the Brits don't make TV's they can't make it leak oil

good luck
Clifford
Last edited by luvrbus on Sun May 30, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Van, Have you figured out your proposed electrical load yet? I'm afraid the 8kw might be too small or real close. Like Clifford says, you will need all the help you can get when you run 3 ac's and your blender! :D

We have a 12kw, and it works great for our use. I can turn everything on and not be afraid of something tripping.

Just a thought! 8-)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Thank you John. as for the honda that now resides in the condenser compartment, seems to be working out ok, still have a long way to go, but having fun at the same time. :D . Clifford, I agree with you, (More Power Scottie :lol: :lol: )10 plus Kw would certainly work with power to spare. At best,3 ac's would be the minimum, But that is certain to change as we head into the 100's next week :cry: . I'll be able to put the 2 roof warts to the test then. In the mean time, I will be shopping for a dependable diesel Generator to permanently install, thanks Fellas ;) :D. Paul, not yet, but I do agree on a minimum of 10 kw, I know for sure that it will power 3 ac's with a little left over to power all the lovely ladys(Cheryl) appliances :lol: :lol: I'll weigh this all out as soon as I get thru this plumbing phase I am embarking on :roll: :roll:
Andy, plan to do just that, and go see this thing in person, if anything just to see for my self about this self contained quiet box, vs a self built box which is not all that hard to fabricate myself,thanks again all! :D
busdriver58
Bus Model: 1969/05 and 1964/01

Post by busdriver58 »

Ok, here I go...

First, our two buses have WRICO generators and I think this is good based on what I had read here and with the others.

The 05, the first one as you know, has a 10 KW and I can run all three 13.5 rooftop air conditioners with no problem at the same time but I only tried this when we picked up the bus in March. When I drove to El Paso the generator worked all day long over the road with no problem to maintain the interior real cool and it is installed on the drivers side in the middle bay (I'm air conditionning addict because I hate the warm climate)

The 01 has a 8KW but only have two 13 rooftop air conditioners and looks like it is enough because of the insulation, the problem here was when I drove from Phoenix to El Paso in last september because the generator stops after 20 to 30 minutes running over the road, this one is installed in the same position like Van's bus and the PO changed the door for a new one with no ventilation and has some fabrication to assure the air flow but I think it is not the best option. The PO said that he installed the generator in that place by Mr Wright recommendation.

Sorry, it is s little dirty

What's the best? I really don't know. Two different configurations and both works, maybe I have to test it at 110° at Las Vegas in the summer... :roll:

EDITED:

I forgot to mention that both generators are under 300 hrs...
Last edited by busdriver58 on Mon May 31, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Julio & Julieta Pérez

1969 05 #7810
8V92 DD / HT-740 Allison
1964 01 #6469
8v71 DD / 4 Speed
John Mellis
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F406126
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle 10

Post by John Mellis »

See there Van I was thinking 1100 hours would have been high. Goes to show don't get in the conversation without correct knowledge. I have been giving a lot of thought though to the way I think you & I will be using our gensets & this will affect where I'm going to place mine. Anyway sorry I got in there & thanks guys for sharing the right knowledge with Van.
John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Julio, Thanks for jumping in and sharing pictures of your coaches. Your experience is what helps to make this board so darn good. 8-)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/