Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Niehoff 350 Amp. Alternator with regulator SOLD

Got an Eagle for sale? Looking for an Eagle? How about parts? As long as it is Eagle or bus conversion related, feel free to post it here. This is a public forum.
NOTE: Be smart about what personal information you post in your ad.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Niehoff 350 Amp. Alternator with regulator SOLD

Post by beltguy »

When I did my engine conversion, I did away with the stock Eagle alternator driven off the miter box/right angle gear box.

The unit is a Niehoff A1-704 with a Niehoff A2-132 regulator. It was working fine when I removed it.

I have no idea what to ask for the unit. I had some thought of using it on the bus for the house batteries, but went with a smaller unit. I also thought about building a mobile welder or perhaps mounting it on my truck to produce 120V via an inverter, but I really don't need another project.

If anyone knows what it is worth, let me know. I think it is a pricey unit, just don't know how pricey ;).

It would be fun to see it go to a good Eagle home.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
SmoothJazz

Re: Niehoff 350 Amp. Alternator with regulator

Post by SmoothJazz »

Jim,

If your Niehoff alternator is good, it is worth about $500-$600 as used. A rebuillt Niehoff is worth about $1,200-$1,800. They do not make this alternator anymore and the replacement is over $3,000 just for parts. That does not include the modifications you have to make to get it to work. We have a good place that can rebuild the Niehoff alternators if anybody is interested.

Dan
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Hi Dan. Thanks for the info. As I mentioned, I had all kinds of ideas of how to use it. One of which was to mount it on the Series 60, dedicated for the house batteries. It is a big hummer, and I went with a dedicated 150 amp. truck Alt. and it does pretty good. However, if I could find a place to mount the Neihoff, I could probably do a bit of rewiring so that I could run one of the roof ACs off the inverter if my dash air did not have suffficient capacity to handle the huge heat loads when heading west in the afternoon. Maybe even mount a split air unit in the spare tire compartment for a second dash AC.

I had also thought about using it to make a mobile welder. That would take some significant circuit creation, but would make a heck of a welder (24V would be better, but you use what you have on hand).

If anyone does use this alternator for house batteries, consider that you will need huge cable to run the power to the house battery bank. I had to use 00 for my 150 amp unit (found out the HARD way that smaller wire just chokes down the amount of current that the batteries see). Also, you **MUST** put a fuse at each end of the cable!!!!

Fun projects to think about, but it should probably go to a good Eagle home.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
csefcik
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle Model 10

Post by csefcik »

Hi Eagle lovers! New to your site. Been waiting a long time to get an Eagle, and finally doing a conversion. Just getting started.
Jim , as Dan says, it's probably worth $500-$600 if it was already rebuilt(good condition). It might last 2 days or 2 yrs without going through it or paying for the rebuild. I need one, but can also convert to a cheaper solution. I'd rather have original equipment, and not knowing your location, it might take alot of freight moola to get it to me. If you can reply with your location, I will make you a reasonable offer.

thanks
Carson
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Welcome to the site, Carson. Way to jump right in! Jim is in Colorado but he and his wife travel the circuit going to RV shows selling his safety equipment so he can likely get close to you.

I hope we can expect a Project thread on your upcoming conversion. We love to see pictures of what everyone is doing.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Hey welcome Carson , nice going on the Eagle purchase,like dale said we look foward to hearing all about your eagle project here on this forum as well as the pictures(got ya covered Paul :lol: )just start a new thread in project eagles topic and keep on adding on by hitting the edit button each time you post some thing :) new.Again welcome aboard and good luck with your conversion ;) 8-)
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

Hi Carson. Welcome aboard.

As you will note, I have a very detailed signature which includes my location. I encourage everyone else to do the same thing. That way we get to know each other a bit better.

The alternator is off the bus and was working when I did my engine conversion. I have no way of knowing if/when it was rebuilt.

I will be leaving just after Christmas for the AZ/CA area and will be out there for several weeks. One stop will be the Eagle Rally in Quartzsite.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO