Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Craigs list-model 20

Got an Eagle for sale? Looking for an Eagle? How about parts? As long as it is Eagle or bus conversion related, feel free to post it here. This is a public forum.
NOTE: Be smart about what personal information you post in your ad.
DaveG
Bus Model: Currently do not own a bus, but I know people who do!

Re: Craigs list-model 20

Post by DaveG »

Florida is too far for me to drive that to CA.

Regarding NJTs, I searched for the differences but did not find anything...is there a place where all NJT things are listed here?

I know wires are not color coded but numbered, hub pilot wheels, air start (all?) and I think they all came with 6V92...is the engine location the same? Restroom?

I know the ugly caps/bumpers thing.

Thanks, Dave
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Engine is all the way to the back like a 15.
You already mentioned the numbered wires
CorTen steel construction (rust resistant)
Stainless steel sheet siding instead of aluminum strips
Pantograph doors instead of bi-fold.
Cafe style engine doors instead of lift up
Semi-high driver from factory
Rubber fender flares instead of aluminum
All came with aluminum wheels
Different running lights on side
Rectangular headlights
A/C stuff above engine instead of under floor. (Usually remove anyway)
6V92 DDECII with Allison 748 (ATEC) w/retarder
Top speed 70-72. Not sure if governor or gear or both.
No bathroom
Power Steering
Hydraulic fan
Flip-out radiator
Only curb side fuel filler
Eagle embossed in breastplate beneath windshield.

Some of this stuff was also on 15s and 20s of the era.
I'm sure there is more I have forgotten. Dan can fill the blanks.

Actually, the rear cap is not so bad. The guy I got mine from took the whole thing off but I would rather it had been like Greg's. There is a 3 piece top section and then the big vents on the back and sides. If you remove the vents and just put metal in there and keep the 3 piece top it looks pretty good.

There is no saving grace for the front. It is just UGLY!
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
DaveG
Bus Model: Currently do not own a bus, but I know people who do!

Post by DaveG »

Thanks Dale, I'll cut & paste that in my cheat sheet notes!

If the engine is all the way back, does that mean that it doesn't have room for an 8V or a 60? Is the solution to lengthen the back end? Is there another option? Just wondering...
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Dave, the draw back to the 20 is the engine compartment you need to redo one to install different engines they are close.
Fwiw I do know of one with a series 50 installed and it took quite a bit of work for it ,that is the last engine I would redo one for and the owner wishes he would have done a different engine also.
Dale don't forget about the skid rails on the NJT lot's of curbs in NJ.
I really don't know what Dale means when he said like a 15.
The 15 could be ordered with 6v92,8v92 series 60,M11 or Cat engines

good luck
Clifford
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Oh yeah, I forgot about the skid rails. We tore a big ole hole in Highway 1 going around that sharp turn on a steep grade! haha

I know there were a lot more engine options in the 15. I just meant that the engine was moved all the way to the back bumper instead of sitting back there behind the mitre box. Oh yeah, that is another thing... no miter box.

Like this:
Instead of like this:
And on the earlier buses, if you have a turbo, it is hanging down there behind the engine. It seems like it's easier to get to everything on the buses with the engine in this placement.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

This thread has drifted a bit to focus on the characteristics of the NJ Eagles. I thought I would continue that drift.

I got a call yesterday from Sonnie who was struggling with the parking brakes on Dale's old 20. He said there were two knobs in the driver area. Neither would fully activate the parking brakes. It sounds like even a drop in air pressure would not trigger the parking brakes.

He said he was going to cage the springs, but they seemed to be fully compressed.

Our guess it that the folks before Dale had messed with the system and that it was messed up. If it is something simple, would someone chime in?

Sonnie has the schematics and he said it is an extremely complicated system!

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

I gave Sonnie my opinion of it the other day on the phone. I don't know why the 20 has two actuators for parking brakes. Sonnie thought it might be to keep passengers from hitting the one on the dash.

My thoughts on why the parking brake didn't work was because the previous owner had someone install a new treadle valve and they did a very poor job. When we went to pick it up, there was a horrendous splicing job on all the lines running to the valve. Once we got that fixed, at least it would hold pressure and the regular brake worked. I don't know that the treadle valve has anything to do with setting the parking brake, but I always thought the valve was plumbed wrong. I also don't know if the brake lights were actuated from the treadle valve but after they changed the valve, there were no brake lights either.

I know there is still a slight air leak from the treadle valve. As long as the engine is running, you can keep enough pressure to drive it. But as soon as you shut down the air leaks out pretty quick. It might not be good in the case of heavy braking needed.

Again, we have to go to our buddy Dan. Maybe he can shed some light on the two valve system and if it ties in to the treadle valve. I had all the manuals, and assume that Sonnie does too, but I couldn't make any sense of it.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Jim, after re-reading your post, one thing you said stuck out... "even a drop in air pressure would not trigger the parking brakes"... When we went to pick the bus up, we had to repair the leaky treadle valve and manually air the tanks to move the bus. The brakes were locked on it.

So... if they are not locking now, even with no air, that sounds like a new part of the mystery. I kept it chocked the entire time I owned it because when I would park it, it would obviously have air and I couldn't engage the brake. I always assumed it went back to locked when the air leaked out.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

DaveG wrote:Thanks Dale, I'll cut & paste that in my cheat sheet notes!

If the engine is all the way back, does that mean that it doesn't have room for an 8V or a 60? Is the solution to lengthen the back end? Is there another option? Just wondering...
Dave, even a Model 10 (or 05 or 01) doesn't have room for a 60 without some rebuilding of the rear of the bus.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

I think Sonnie will find one of the valves is to release the spring brakes without using the cage bolt.
You see that on Prevost and MCI often

good luck
Clifford