Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

steering wheel for an eagle

Got an Eagle for sale? Looking for an Eagle? How about parts? As long as it is Eagle or bus conversion related, feel free to post it here. This is a public forum.
NOTE: Be smart about what personal information you post in your ad.
sunday driver
Bus Model: 1980 Eagle 10

steering wheel for an eagle

Post by sunday driver »

I just bought my first Eagle and I was wondering if anyone out there new where I could find a smaller steering wheel than that 22 inch thing that is on it? I would like to find something in the neighborhood of 16 inches in diameter if they make it. I have power steering so I can use something small.
I don't care if it is new or used.
And what does it take to get that old steering wheel off, a motor hoist? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ernie
1980 Eagle 10 conversion
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Re: steering wheel for an eagle

Post by Eagle Andy »

Well welcome Erine to the Eagle form. am not sure where you can find a wheel that wiill fit your model as mine has a tilt telascopic column .However Iam sure Clifford or one of the other fella's on the board will beable to help. You could also start a porject page with pictures and a little about u and your Bus. Again welcome to the madness of Eagle ownership.
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

This subject comes up on the other boards every once in a while. The general consensus is that you might drop down to 20 inches, but anything below that could be dangerous if you would loose the PS or have a blowout. I would think a blowout could pull the wheel out of your hand with a 16 inch wheel - even with PS. I would sure not like to find out the hard way.

Having said that, most new trucks have small steering wheels.

I have the stock size wheel on mine and I really like it. It puts my arms in a straight forward position that I find very comfortable.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

http://www.vipwheels.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they have whatever you choose I have a 18 inch on my Eagle wish i would have bought a 17 inch .
I forgot the spline count but it is a standard shaft spline

good luck
Clifford
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MrBreeze »

I Have One Of Those Small Chrome Chain Steering Wheels On Mine :shock:

Its Really Cold On The Hands In The Winter.. :lol:
Hey, You Never Know When You Might Have To Drive With Handcuffs Installed......Honey Wheres The Key.!! :lol: :lol: (Dont Ask Me How I Know These Thing) :oops:

I Couldnt Help Myself.. :roll:

JOHN 8-)
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500
glmccon
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 87956
Bus Model: 1966 Eagle 01

Post by glmccon »

We have a 16" old Cadillac steering wheel on ours. It has been on since 1990 and we haven't had any problems with it. Fortunately we have not had a blowout and hopefully we won't! :roll:
George and Glynda McConaughey
1966 Eagle 01
George cell (813) 966-7513
Glynda cell (619) 248-4080
John Mellis
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F406126
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle 10

Post by John Mellis »

Welcome Ernie,
As Clifford suggested VIP has a multitude of wheels to choose from. You can get those same wheels from Ron The Bus Nut & the Eagle insert for the center. I had to order more things so I combined it all with Ron. Here's a link to Ron:
http://www.ronthebusnut.com/browseDisp.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

This is not from an Eagle but I think they mount the same and I loved this wheel. This is actually the wheel that was in my old RTS and it was pretty close to the wheel in my Model 20. I can get these for $75. Not new but in good shape. I think they are about 18". I bet the center is the same and you could get one with an Eagle somewhere.

Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I had to chuckle a bit after I posted about my big wheel.

With out question I am a twin of Tim Taylor (the "tool man"). I do all the dumb things he does (several emergency room visits) and I like BIG.

I can just picture myself sitting at that big wheel with a grin on my face and making that famous Tim Taylor grunt.

Don't want no "stinkin toy steering wheels" :lol: :D

Jim

Wow, I quickly looked up Tim Taylor and see that that sit com started in 1991. How time flies. So, for you young folks, here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Taylor_(character)
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
John Mellis
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F406126
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle 10

Post by John Mellis »

Dale,
If those splines match up with those wheels that would work great. The Eagle insert is only $8.95 from Ron.
John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...