Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Nice '88 Model 20 for sale

Got an Eagle for sale? Looking for an Eagle? How about parts? As long as it is Eagle or bus conversion related, feel free to post it here. This is a public forum.
NOTE: Be smart about what personal information you post in your ad.
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Nice '88 Model 20 for sale

Post by Boomer »

If anybody's interested there is a nice looking ex Air Force M-20 for sale at http://www.staleycoach.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Owner says 190K total coach miles. Seats are already stripped. Asking 14K. Seems good to me. Clifford, what is your opinion?
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Nice '88 Model 20 for sale

Post by luvrbus »

Boomer, I tried to buy that coach 2 years ago and Walker got involed so I left it alone, better buy than a NJT 20 at 10,000.

Clifford
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Here is a direct link to the bus. Pretty nice looking 20.
http://www.staleycoach.com/52601.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And now my question. Probably The Mall is not the best place to ask but since the thread is here and it might help someone looking for a 20...

Clifford, What do you think makes a regular Model 20 a better deal than an NJT 20?

I know all the wires are white in the NJT, but they are numbered so still identifiable.
I know the NJT has the ugly cap but you replace that when you raise it anyway.
Yeah, the rubber safety bumpers are ugly, but also replaceable.

Aren't both made of Corten?
Both have rubber fenders over the wheels instead of aluminum.
Do both have the hydraulic fan setup?

Is it the stainless siding vs aluminum siding thing?

The things I really like about the NJT 20 are the pantograph bay doors and the raised driver's area.
I would prefer the Allison 748 to the ZF transmission.

What else am I missing? Thanks.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

Dale,

With this coach only having 190K total coach miles, the suspension should have a lot of adjustment and life left on it, and since the torsion bars are a very spendy item, let alone the labor to change them, that would be a significant factor in choosing this Air Force Eagle over a NJT M20.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

Another plus: non restroom. This is a nice shell. Tempted myself. Don't know about the ZF though.

There is another ex Air Force bus sitting at Dave Gregory's in Oregon (Southern Oregon Diesel) that is pretty rust free coming out of Greenland. It has no motor/trans and I bet he'll sell it pretty reasonable. If I remember right it's a M-10.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

I was thrilled to have the ZF 5-speed in my RTS. But that was only because the only other option was the 731 3-speed. I just prayed that the thing never tore up.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Boomer »

Hey Clifford you said you tried to buy it, did you actually look at it? If so, what is your opinion of it. I'm talking to the guy, it sounds good. He is sending me some pictures. Just wondering if you put an eyeball on it?
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Mark, I don't know how long since the Air Force had it but I have always heard only good things about their buses.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Boomer »

According to the owner there has been a couple other owners between him and the Air Force, but nobody did anything with it. He is the one who started stripping it to convert it for his gospel group, but he gave up and bought a used entertainer from Staley ready to go.
He did document the ownership and milage thru CarFax. It's a nice car. I expect to get pictures soon. I am curious Clifford, how did Walker get involved?
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Mark, I only have photos of the bus Sam came into the picture with the first owner I offered him 16 grand and Sam told him it was worth 25 grand.
Sam had it for sale for a while but the owner got cold feet and took it back.
Fwiw there were 4 of the GSA model 20 out there for a while they brought 15,300 to 22,400 at the sale.
I just could not make the sale in person and I have this thing about buying over the net and sending money.

good luck
Clifford