Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Bad Starter

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Bad Starter

Post by Eagle Andy »

Well after a few hr's of snoopin around and testing things . I discovered that my starter is no longer working. I took it out last weekend and today Iam going to take it apart and see if I can rebuild it. (new brushes and bushings .any thoughts? been awhile since I have done this but I hope it's like riding a bike lol.
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
van
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Bad Starter

Post by van »

Funny thing about starters and alternators( or generators) they will always go when you least expect it :x
I have to rebuild one for a friends FLH next week also,a whole group smaller in size but just as much a pain in the ass.Yup,just like riding a bike,but make sure the seat is on the seat post first or it will be a painful experience :lol: Since you are planning to rebuild anywho ,Check the windings for continuity ,make sure they are not broken or grounded to the case. If that checks out it should be a piece of cake, but do check the manual anyway just to be certain .Do be careful though not to drop the heavy S.O.B on your self,Please! But I bet you already suspected that :D Good luck buddy :) Don't forget the post insulators :D

P.S. I never changed a DD starter before but,
I did flip a few chevy starters in a Holiday Express
Parking lot :o
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Have you checked the solenoid? I have had problems with mine in the past, the culprit was low start voltage and the solenoid would fry. Happened twice, which is two times too many, them suckers are heavy. ;)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

Well things are looking up took apart the starter today and only found two things wrong, 1 was missing two springs that hold the brushes in place , talk to Mr fix it and that would have cause the no start problem . So I took the solanoide apart and found the disc was pretty scared up so I flipped it over and should be ok. So Iam replacing the brushes and new springs . I did test the armituer for continuity as well as the field windings and all were find so now I just wait for the new brushes. Thanks for the coments guys.
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Take some photos,so we can double check your work :lol: :lol: :lol:
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

What you don't Belive me :roll:
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

Good time's are here , With the help from Clifford and the local Napa store I saved about 3 hundred dollors on a starter problem. It seems I had a couple busted springs and wore brushes. It went well with the rebulid as it was not as bad as my mind told me it would be,lol So time to move on to the next issue, speedo Iam going to clean the wires on the tranny that clifford had me look for and adjust the back of the speedo and take for a test drive with the GPS and see where Iam at .
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

Well I took the old girl out for a spin to check the speedo with the GPS and discovered that at 50 mph Iam going 65 @ 1800 rpm and I got faster as I went up in speed by the speedo. So now I am going to do some asking around and see what I have to do . The screw on the back of the speedo was just that, four of them to secure the face. I did notice where the wires plug into the back that the - + were for the leds on one side and s an o on the other , I guess they go back to the tranny. anyway that's all I know at this time stay happy Andy
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Andy,good job buddy, there was never any doubt in my military mind that you could make it happen :D Glad you got it sorted out. hope that we are able to meet in Jan,probably we won't have the bus there,but meeting you and some new bus nuts will be the point of this trip .To bad we will miss the meeting there,but Cheryl already put her request in for the scheduled event so we will be there to meet and greet the folks that are in the same situation as us and have a great time with some great suds LOL.

Soldiering On
Van 8-)