Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Brake Parts

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
gsriley1
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle Model 10

Brake Parts

Post by gsriley1 »

Guys,
Now that the Tomball Eagle is running it is time to address the brakes. I thought about working on them myself, but have decided to have her towed to a reputable local repair shop that specializes if big trucks and motorhomes.
I'm in need of some guidance as to what should be replaced and updated. There is definitely an air leak(s) but the compressor is basically zero time, and makes lots and lots of air. My give kids will be riding in the bus so I want her as safe as possible.
Is there a list of brake part #'s? Also, I've seen the posts about updating the canisters too. Any other thoughts? Part #'s? Other suggestions?
Money is always a consideration, but in this instance I don't really care about the cost as long as she is absolutely safe.
It does appear that the engine is exactly as represented by the former owner; a basically "zero-time" 8V71. She doesn't even spin half a turn before lighting off.

I posted another You Tube video of me running her...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpHa_dmu2iA[/youtube]
Don't know about the trans or differential yet...stay tuned...same bat time, same bat channel!
Greg
Greg Riley
Magnolia, TX
1985 Eagle Model 10
5KidzKrazy
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: Brake Parts

Post by Dreamscape »

Greg,

Here is a description of what I did on our 01.

http://www.eaglesinternational.net/foru ... 4&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's in our Project Thread page 3.

For all of the other parts it's best to make a decision after visual observation. For part numbers maybe Dan, Clifford or Wayne can help. If you would post those numbers in the Eagle Tech under Parts and Part Numbers it would help us help others. Just title it Brake Parts for Model 01.

Do you have your manuals yet? I can't remember if you told me or not. :oops:

You're doing great and have the best attitude about safety!
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
gsriley1

Post by gsriley1 »

I did get the manuals, and will print out the entire thread you referenced and take to the mechanic.

Corvair's, Steam Locomotives, Silver Eagles, and Duesenberg's....that the weird world I roll in :ugeek:
Greg Riley
Magnolia, TX
1985 Eagle Model 10
5KidzKrazy
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

In order for us to give you part numbers, we would need to know the year of your Eagle.
The earlier 05's may have had the smaller 01 brakes. the later one's have the bigger brakes.

Best if you just looke at the blocks and tell us the approximate size
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Joe, It's in his signature line, 1966 01. ;)

I agree about the pads, get the size and anything else, like do they have auto slack or manual like the OEM etc.. Anyone could have changed something along the line.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
gsriley1

Post by gsriley1 »

Basically I want to update as much as possible. If later model brakes will fit my Model 01, then that would be great. The shop who is going to do the job took it on with the understanding that I would provide all of the parts and technical advice. The do big truck and RV repairs everyday, but they don't want to hassle with running everything down, or reeingeneering anything.
Greg
Greg Riley
Magnolia, TX
1985 Eagle Model 10
5KidzKrazy
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Greg, that upgrade will cost you over 5 grand I did that on my 05 just have the guy install some good lining and your 01 it will not be a problem the parts and linings are the same as Mack Trucks .
Were do live in Magnolia we lived there for 5 years and still have 5 ac on FM 1488

good luck
gsriley1

Post by gsriley1 »

We live five miles west of "Old Magnolia" just off of 1488. Where is your property?
Should I still update the canisters?
Greg
Greg Riley
Magnolia, TX
1985 Eagle Model 10
5KidzKrazy