Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Chassis Battries

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Chassis Battries

Post by Eagle Andy »

Ok in my quest to find out why my head lites where dim while running down the road, I have discovered I have two dead cels In my 8d battries. Iam thinking Iam going to change to three 12 volt . Now what kind of cranking power should I look for and what is a good truck battery. Ay thoughts would be a great help. Thanks Andy
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Chassis Battries

Post by luvrbus »

3 group 31 with 950 CCA + that is what Eagle used, Sam's sells interstate now but all batteries about the same now Johnson Controls manufacture most of the batteries anyway.
But living in the cold country with out a block heater you will miss the heavy a** 8D's

Good luck
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

Thanks Clifford , I do have a block heater I just need to replace it . So clifford are you telling me to replace the 8 D . and not go to the three?
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Andy, 3 group 31 will work fine for you I am just one that if the bus came with 2 8D's thats what goes back for me.
Eagle used 3 g31 in the 15's and some 10's and it never was a problem.
Some guys try and save a few bucks and only use 2 and it comes back to bite them in the butt.
The more cranking amps you can get to the starter the longer they last installing a starter on a 8v92 is not much fun LOL
I have had to jump to many with just 2 g31 when it is cold.
Does your heater install at the top of the block under the head on the left side with a square plate if so I may have one

good luck
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Andy,when we got our eagle the PO ony had two 31's in it. On Clifford advice installed 3-31's and never had a problem turning the eng over, Checkers for me with a 3 year replacement @ about 110.00 ea 1 year ago ;) I did notice that after we installed them my Hyd fan fluid evaporated mysteriously :lol: and over heated the eng again! :o :lol: :lol: :lol: . could mount the sporty to the rear for extra charging, just a thought :shock: :lol: :lol:
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

Clifford this is where my block heater is located . Looking from the back of the bus it's on the left side right behind the head .
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Andy, I changed my 8-D batteries over to 3 - 31 group batteries. Reason being (same as you) my batteries went dead. I had accidentally left my switch on. Since they had to be replaced anyway, I decided to change them and it's a good thing because the old cables were corroded and cracked. I put them closer to the starter and I have noticed that the engine turns much quicker now (to start). It's been over a year and they seem to be working great! Here are a couple of pictures:

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

Thanks Manny for the pics , That is a nice neat instalation on those batteries . Iam still torn on which way to go 8d's or 31's It sure helps to have such great help you guys are the best The best price I can find on 8d' is Interstate for 189.00 and I need two . ouch times are tuff . oh well life as a Bus owner lol
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

When I first bought our Eagle it had two worn out 8 D's, and I mean shot!
I installed two group 31's in their place, had the starter rebuilt twice and replaced the original group 31's with new ones. The smart charger overcharged them while I had the coach parked at my in-laws when we first moved to TX.

I did not know I needed three group 31's, now I do. That is why I had to rebuild the starter I'm sure, not enough poop to crank it at a high enough speed.

So Andy, thanks for starting this thread. Boy do I feel stupid! :shock:

Now that I need another one, I'm not sure what to do because you need all of them to match. I wonder if I go back to Sam's and get another one it'll be OK. It was last year when I bought the current ones. Tell me it's OK please!

And I really like the placement that Manny has which is in a similar place I had in mind from looking at Ray Sells (Two Eagles) 01 which was above the mitre box. Close to the starter is the main goal.

I wasn't going to post anything, but what the heck! :oops:
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

I don't see any reason why you couldn't add the third ,so long as the 2 you have now are up to snuff. When I swapped for our eagle,It only had two 31's,one of which was shot so I bought one(duralast heavy commercial-950cca)turns out there suppose to be 3 well as long as I'm buying ,I get two more of the same and use the 660 workaholic for the gen start batt.
I know I should have got the bigger cca ones(which they didn't have at the time)but it was in the pinch as tou remember me being broke noodle behind the house in the best western parking lot.
Been over a year now,the 3 batts are here in my shop and have monitored their state regularly and charge as needed to maintain voltage at 70 percent or better utilizing a simple 6 amp taper charger with all three connected in the usual configuration for 12 volt parallel. I conect the chargers positive lead to the 1st batt pos and the ground to the ground of the 3rd battery,@ 6 amps I leave it hooked up till the batteries are at around 12.7 volts .
Andy if you choose the 31's, I think they might be available in 1200cca,definitely in 1100cca.any who, after putting the 3(950's)new ones,the starter really spun the engine around with some autority :) also I think the 31 used as start batts are cheaper to replace than the 8-d's,mine were at a hundred bucks a piece,2 or 3 year replacement,I forget.