Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Simple basement "mini slide"

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
DeBar
Bus Model: 1969 05 #7857 R44
Picked up 8/7/09
Original toilet,bunk on each side over axle between partition walls
Otherwise just about empty and waiting for me
Alabama

Simple basement "mini slide"

Post by DeBar »

I have 3 good size dogs (1 90lb 2 45lb), not huge but big enough. I plan on setting up one of the bay areas with a set of steps down from the main living area for them to have for themselves. What I would like to do is build a cage slide out on one or both sides of that bay that they can walk out a few feet and have a balcony area to sit outside.
I just want a floor with three fenced sides and either a solid or fenced top that I can pull out for them. I obviously don't need to worry about the bus frame structure down there. I am looking for ideas on how to make slide rails that are strong enough to hold 200lbs of dogs combined with the weight of the slide and still be able to pull them out realatively smoothly.
I am not looking for a motorized setup for a couple of reasons. First I am not looking into spending the money on a drive setup and second I feel safer pulling it out by hand while they may be in there than having a motor that could hurt them.
Looking for simple and cheep but as always I am willing to listen to any ideas you may have for me.
1969 05
8V71
4 Speed
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Simple basement "mini slide"

Post by rusty »

I have seen people use cam followers and channel iron. It is not that hard to do. I have not bought any cam followers but I think you can get them at Grainer or McMasters. The only problem is you need twice the length to make it that way. Have you thought about a Joy Bed? I see them avertized in FMCA magizine.

Good Luck Wayne
DeBar
Bus Model: 1969 05 #7857 R44
Picked up 8/7/09
Original toilet,bunk on each side over axle between partition walls
Otherwise just about empty and waiting for me
Alabama

Post by DeBar »

The cam followers look like a good way to go. I have never heard of a Joy Bed and when I try to google it I don't get any results that make sense. Could it be known by a different name when searching for it?
1969 05
8V71
4 Speed
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Do a search on eBay, there are several listed there.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
BusNut06
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 1681S3
Bus Model: 1962 GMC PD4106 and 1987 Eagle Model 15

Post by BusNut06 »

Robert, I see you are from Alabama. Most likely near a poultry processing plant. See if you can get ahold of the plastic wheels that are used on the conveyor systems. They fit perfectly inside a 3" channel iron, have ball bearings and races built in. I used them to build the carraige under my kubota gen set in our 4106 fifteen years ago and can still move it with one hand.
Godspeed,
Michael