Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

changing rear end gears

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: changing rear end gears

Post by Songman »

You might check with Dave at Gem Equipment in Ventura, CA. He has what appears to be a complete rear drive, probably from a Model 10. It has a tag on it that says 3:36. Not sure if it will fit in an 01 though. This unit has the axle, the diff, and the Torsialastics although I don't know how good any of it is. Last time I talked to Dave he offered it to me for $250 just to get it out of his shop. I didn't need it or have a place to put it so he might still have it.

Gem Equipment
171 W. Stanley Ave. - Ventura, CA 93001
805-643-6185
Fax 805-643-9536
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

You guys, especially Clifford, know a whole lot more than I do about this stuff. However, when I had the troubles with 3 differential failures in one year, the ring and pinion gear set ran about 3 grand. I would have loved to find them at 2100. When I repowered in 2006, the 3:36 set cost 3500 and some change. Maybe I got took a bit, but the sources were reputable, so I am inclined to think the prices were ok. Also, I would be very careful of used gears.
Bill
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

BIll P, I hope you never need another but if you do try Pro-Gear in Orlando FL he went up last month on a 3:36 ratio for the 05,10.and 15 to 2200.00 plus shipping.(no sales tax if shipped out of state)
I not a big fan of of used drop boxes as you know with out replacing all the bearing before installing it 2 was enough for me lol.

good luck
Clifford
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

Clifford et.al.
You are so right about the used gears.
The first failure was apparently old age (but should not have happened anyway with proper care).
The second failure was, we think, primarily due to the pocket bearing (found seized in the first repair) was not properly aligned in the weld repair. Further, during the first repair, inspection of the gears, before they were installed, prompted a call to the supplier because they looked very rusty giving us the concern they were used. We were promised they were new, just had been sitting on the shelf for a long time. The supplier was trustworthy, so I believed them. I am not sure they didn't contribute to the failure. They did warranty the gears in the second repair and replaced them at no charge. Bright and shiny this time under the protective coating (that was not on the first set).
The third repair is were I got smarter. I had them do a new drop-in replacement of the drop-box and the pumpkin. With the exception of the 3:36 ring and pinion I had changed with the engine re-power, this drop-box and differential are still running.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL, but it should explain my comment on avoiding used gears.

Bill
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.