Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

8V71N injector settings

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
TexasBorderDude
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: new
Bus Model: 1978 Eagle 05

8V71N injector settings

Post by TexasBorderDude »

I just had my 8V71N adjusted by Smith Power in Salt Lake City. They were very responsive, did good work and I thought their charge was reasonable. They found a short on a jake solenoid, found another that was bad, and lots of crispy "O" rings on the solenoids. They adjusted the jakes, ran the rack and set the injectors. Here's the rub.... lots of black smoke in any gear at any speed; it runs 8-10 degrees hotter and burns about 20% more fuel. The injectors are 70's. Anyone know the correct gap (if that's the right term??)

Edit.... I think it the height setting, no????....

I'm going to call them tomorrow (Aug 17th) and would like to know what's recommended. I'm confident they are set too rich, but what's the preferred setting?

Thanks,

dg

ps. One of the board's finest already told me that there are different settings for truck vs. bus applications for the 8V71. Thanks!
Last edited by TexasBorderDude on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: 8V71N injector settings

Post by Dreamscape »

And what would that be?
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
TexasBorderDude
Club Member
Club Member

Dreamscape wrote:And what would that be?
TexasBorderDude wrote:rich, but what's the preferred setting?

I asked first!!!! hehehe!
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

TexasBorderDude wrote: dg
ps. One of the board's finest already told me that there are different settings for truck vs. bus applications for the 8V71. Thanks!
The above quote is why I asked, your turn! ;)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

If DG knew what injectors he has it would be easy but the guy at Smith told him he had 70's and I doubt if he does .
I am thinking he has 60's his engine burned to clean to have large injectors and A timing.

good luck

Clifford
TexasBorderDude
Club Member
Club Member

Good point, Clifford! When I talk to Smith, I'll question the injector size too. Thanks.
TexasBorderDude
Club Member
Club Member

Smith's made good on the adjustment... I've got 70's and they adjusted them at .1460 I headed out of Boise and had more black smoke than ever! My heart sank.... I stopped at a rest stop and blew out the air filter... it was filthy! Much improved, but still lots of black smoke anytime under load. Again about 5mpg. When Smith in Salt Lake did the tune-up they said my air throttle was not allowing full throttle, so on this tank of fuel, I'm really using the lightest throttle possible and at the first hint of black smoke I back off. Top speed is about 54 on the flat at 1500 rpm in 4th. We'll see. I was actually getting 6.5 plus mpg with my old setup (detuned and a restricted throttle). Oh she's running great and has more power that ever..... duh! :D

On to Yellowstone.

Thanks for all the help.

dg
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

Doyle,

On our 8v71n I get black smoke only when I have my foot mashed to the floor. Slight smoke on the flats when I pass someone, which is rarely, and a lot more when climbing a hill. I always watch my mirrors for the black smoke and back off slightly. I can still run at 70/75 if I want and not see it.

I do not kow what injectors I have, never have taken the time to find out. I know our beast with the four speed manual is a slug at times, but I'm going to live with it.

I'm just surprised after all the work you had done that your mpg went down, a lot too. I think I'll leave mine alone! ;)

Are you still pulling your trailer?
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Well when you are 75 long and weigh 50,000lbs running in the mountains with your engine turned up to 2500 rpm and checking the new 3:36 rear gear in 3rd gear plus letting Coffee drive thats what you get huh Doyle.
But we will put a stop to that smoking this winter when we turbo that 8v71

Clifford
TexasBorderDude
Club Member
Club Member

luvrbus wrote:Well when you are 75 long and weigh 50,000lbs running in the mountains with your engine turned up to 2500 rpm and checking the new 3:36 rear gear in 3rd gear plus letting Coffee drive thats what you get huh Doyle.
But we will put a stop to that smoking this winter when we turbo that 8v71

Clifford

Yep, Ciff you are right! No more driving for Coffee... she's such a lead foot!

Found Henry's Lake an Idaho state park and am set up for 4 nights. Will take Coffee and the car and tent camp at Yellowstone... only 45 miles to West Yellowstone.

dg

dg