Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

A/C options

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
DeBar
Bus Model: 1969 05 #7857 R44
Picked up 8/7/09
Original toilet,bunk on each side over axle between partition walls
Otherwise just about empty and waiting for me
Alabama

A/C options

Post by DeBar »

I am still debating what way to go with a/c units, roof, split, have seen converted window units ducted an put in rear cap.
Would love some opinions on what way to go.
1969 05
8V71
4 Speed
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: A/C options

Post by rusty »

We have roof airs on our 05 and I have not been happy with them from the get go. Part of the problem is mine as the ducts are not big enough and I ducted the return. I do not like the fact they are to loud. And I think my bus looks like a junkyard going down the road with all that stuff on top. Our 15 will have something different. I am strongly considering the split units. I like the idea if you have more than one, you can always have AC if one shoots craps.

Just my 1.5 cents Wayne
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

I have three roof mounted A/C units and agree with Wayne to a degree. Mine are not ducted, just controlled by wall mounted thermostats. The agreement is they are noisy, however in the way mine are controlled, I can set the thermostats such they can run as I want to. When we are in the living room, I run the rear airs. when we are gone, if the dogs need the air, we set the t/s for the living room air.

The reason I went with the roof mounts is due to what I thought was good advice at the time. A couple of guys that had done bus conversions pointed out the loss of bay space with central air, and then the kicker, if your a/c needs repairs, you throw the roof air off the roof into a dumpster and replace it. If you have central air, it is a really major job.

I would also point out that I can run one a/c off my inverter on the road. My alternator, 350 amp, continuously charges my house batteries when running, and then the front a/c runs comfortably and keeps us cool.

I don't like the junk on the roof like Wayne, but there are a lot of us out there with it like that. I like to count the a/cs on coaches. If there are three or less, you can bet it is a private coach. More than that is an entertainer.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Bill
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

I have the Cursiair split system 2 of the units are mounted in the spare tire compartment with 2 evaporators mounted overhead in the drivers area 1 in the kitchen area and 1 small one in the bathroom.
The other is mounted in the right rear corner by the engine with 2 evaporators in the bedroom.
Nothing on the roof or the bays or any preset fan speeds 0-high for noise level never had problem with the units but I would like to have the touch pad controls with remote but thats a 1200.00 upgrade for 3 units.
I am planning on installing the Red Dot unit for the dash area with a compressor driven off the engine while driving.
Takes time to install the Red Dot I just had the Red Dot for 3 years now every time I take it out of the box I always look at it then put it back maybe this winter.LOL
I also run 1 unit off the inverter while under way but sometimes it is not enough in this 115 degree AZ heat.
good luck

Clifford
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

I'm like you Clifford. My Red Dot is 90% ready to go, I just have not got around to wiring it up. The condenser is in the right front service compartment where the door used to be. I put in the biggest heat/AC unit I could get into my dash that Larry made. Hope the A/C works as good as the heat. Ran the Aeroquip freon lines from back to front before the interior work started. My compressor has been dry for so long now that I'll probably have to put another on. Cest 'la Vie.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

OK, it's my turn.

Keep in mind that these roof units were in the coach when I acquired it in 2003. They all worked quite well during the time I was "ripping and restoring". We live in the coach full time as of this past March. We have had several 100+ days this year, when it was 106° we had the lounge and bedroom A/C's on low and it was very comfortable. The units are at least 8-10 years old I would think, not one problem with them. I do admit the fan moving the air is not quiet, we do not have thermostats, just the controls on the units. Yes they are roof warts, and not pretty.

In our 01 we do not have as much room as in the newer models, they are full of water and waste tanks, fuel tank, two 40# propane tanks, tools, various sundries such as oil, chairs and just stuff. These were set up that way when we bought her, and may change them around as time and funds allow.

If I was starting from scratch I would go the way Clifford and others have gone to keep the roof line clean. We just have to live with what we have and be thankful we have the bus of our dreams. Not fancy but paid for!

Clifford, stop by on your way to TBR and I'll help you install your Red Dot. I could use the experience! ;) No shop, just the beautiful Texas skyline!

One more thing, when these units fail, I'll install some low profile units. Like Bill said, throw them in the dumpster and lay the new ones in the hole.

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
DeBar
Bus Model: 1969 05 #7857 R44
Picked up 8/7/09
Original toilet,bunk on each side over axle between partition walls
Otherwise just about empty and waiting for me
Alabama

Post by DeBar »

Well I didn't realize that the Welch industries RE-1 in the back wasn't just another part of the bus a/c! :lol: That was a nice surprise.
I have found a little info on it and understand that it is totally self contained, but am not quite sure if it is belt driven or is it 12v. Guessing belt but only noticed some 12v info so far. I am going to search more but thought someone might know off the top of their head about it.
Also had a very interesting day in terms of finding some parts but I will start a different post in general area about that.
I picked up a 75k btu Heil furnace yesterday with the inside portion of the ac. Cant remember is that the condenser? So I have made my decision to avoid putting the ac on the roof. Just need to get my hands on the other part of the split unit.
I did have an odd thought about using the one from the bus unit, but again if it aint broke. oh and I don't know how even if it could be done.
1969 05
8V71
4 Speed
rhbelter
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F92654
Bus Model: Eagle -01 1967 Cummins M-11 10 spd OD RR

Post by rhbelter »

Ahoy, Eagles,

An option not mentioned is one which I wrote up and which was published in BCM a few years ago. Title was 'Conformal Cooling'. I don't recall the date.

Essentially, the Eagle structure makes it easily possible to nest roof air units each in a notch on the sides of the bus, such that it does not stick above the roof line. Put an expansion metal cover over it and you would scarcely notice it. On a 'fresh start' conversion, you can likely find space to utilize which won't compromise your interior plans. I would put one each up forward over the driver and right seat, one over the galley table, and a forth unit notched into the top back, over the bed.

My HVAC is a hydronic hot/cold system which is powerful, effective, and less than satisfactory. The cold hoses condense water and make a mess. I had planned to wrap/insulate the hoses, but didn't, and now it would be very difficult.

If I were on a fresh start, I would do my 'Conformal Cooling' scheme. Protruding roof airs just would NOT do it for me, because I'm always brushing through trees to get into my neighborhood. The easy 'toss them and replace' make the roof air units attractive.

Enjoy /s/ Bob
Bob Belter Carmel CA ---- Eagle -01 /w/ Cummins M-11/ Roadranger ten speed RTO1110