Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

GPH at high idle

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
DeBar
Bus Model: 1969 05 #7857 R44
Picked up 8/7/09
Original toilet,bunk on each side over axle between partition walls
Otherwise just about empty and waiting for me
Alabama

GPH at high idle

Post by DeBar »

I am curious how much fuel to expect my 05 (8v71) to run through idling, with and without the bus ac running.

Thanks
Bob
1969 05
8V71
4 Speed
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: GPH at high idle

Post by Dreamscape »

Bob, I don't know the answer, but I have one for you. Why would you idle so much? Just curious.

The only time I idle is at a stop light, otherwise I shut her down.

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
DeBar
Picked up 8/7/09
Alabama

Post by DeBar »

Under "normal" circumstances I guess I wouldn't. BUT what is normal? :P . Actually a couple of reasons I had considered it.
I only have the bus ac now and am wondering just what it will cost me to run the ac for a while while I am working on it. Alabama can get a little hot. :evil:
I full time but usually in one spot for a very long time, actual travel once a year or less, so will probably rarely need bus a/c. I am debating just pulling the bus unit for the space but I would like to just how much it will do for me if I ever did need it, compared to running the genset and 120v a/c units.
And since knowledge is power and I want all of the power I thought I would ask. Actually I have a few other reasons but that is the big one.

It really was a two part question but I never asked the second part :? Part 2 being is that bus ac worth keeping in there if I spend VERY LITTLE time on the road. Seems to me I would gain a lot of space and HP by taking it out. But for right now the fuel gauge isn't accurate and according to previous owner runs out "somewhere above empty". I am not going to fill the tank, so it would be nice to have an idea of roughly how much I will run through and guestimate an amount left in tank. Plus it will help me to decide just how much it is worth running a/c from engine to get some things done inside in a reasonable amount of comfort during the day instead of doing almost all at night between now and when regular ac goes in.
Don't be surprised at random sounding questions from me I usually try to thin them down but I am sure that will still leave a lot. :lol:
Bob
1969 05
8V71
4 Speed
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

I hope some of the DD experts chime in here. But I'll tell you what I know.

It is not a good thing to idle a DD for very long, now I know you hear about truckers doing that all the time when diesel was cheap and there weren't any laws against doing so. It also does something to the valves, build up I think, and you are also running at a very low oil pressure when at idle.

I have no idea on bus A/C, ours did not have one, that spot where it was, was empty. We have three roof A/C's and they do quite well here in the hot Texas sun. Only have had to run two on low when it was 106°. Although I wish I had coach A/C when traveling on a hot day. We just fire up the genny and turn on the A/C's and we're good. If your coach A/C is in good shape, I would leave it alone until it starts costing you a bunch of money to fix.

I hope it helps some, maybe some of the DD experts will come to the rescue.

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

DeBar
Picked up 8/7/09
Alabama

Post by DeBar »

Yea works don't fix it prob a smart idea
I am getting close on some of my plans an will set up a post soon to track my work as suggested.
I am still debating what way to go with a/c units, roof, split, have seen converted window units ducted an put in rear cap. think I will post this seperate for some opinions.
1969 05
8V71
4 Speed
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

One thing I failed to mention, on high idle you may be OK for a period of time, just not sure how long.

Looking forward to your questions as we all learn something.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

I have been told by many experts, the general rule is, for the best care of your engine (most expensive equipment in the coach); if you are going to idle the engine (hi or low) for more than 5 minutes, shut it down instead.

Bill
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

If you intend to operate the bus air only very infrequently (did you say a trip about once a year?) I can tell you this for sure; you will have to have a system that is in nearly perfect condition to hold a refrigerant charge. Excellant hoses, pressure switches, compressor crankshaft seal, dryer, both condensers and evaporators, on and on. Maintaining an A/C system on a bus that old is extremely expensive and time consuming. I'm one of those that recommends getting rid of the expense and troubles and gaining the space and weight carrying ability.
As for idling, DON'T DO IT. Better to buy a small 120V house type window A/C or two for temp use while you convert. Take out a window, make a temporary shroud to go around it and you'll stay cool.