Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Mounting New Awning

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Richard M
FMCA #: 166720
Bus Model: 1967 05 Eagle

Mounting New Awning

Post by Richard M »

Newbie here. I just joined the group and like others, it's always nice to belong to a group with the same interests, (Eagle Buses)

Just as a quick introduction. My wife and myself have been full timing in our 1967 01 Eagle for 11 years years now. During that period of time we have done many updates and upgrades to the bus. So I do have some experience with a lot of problem solving etc. that we have experienced over the years. I'm always more then glad to share or contribute my two cents with the hope that I can also help others out.

Now I would like to pick the minds of some of you people that have already gone thru this...
I'm going to be installing a new Patio Awning in about 2 weeks. I have picked out a new Carefree 20' Elect. Eclipse Awning. I know that I'm going to have to add some shims to the the vertical brackets that mount to the side of the bus since there is a difference between the shinny alum. siding and the alum side skin. What have some of y'all used for shims and what other kind of problems/ solutions and suggests might you have to make the job go easier??
Thank You
Richard
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Mounting New Awning

Post by rusty »

Richard, The carefree we but on our 05 came with lower brackets that fit over the molding that covers between the upper and lower siding. We have redone the outside of the bus but I think it is stock molding. I then used longer and larger metal screws and went into the tube that is behind the nmolding. The top mount is a different story. I fabricated some 2 inch blocks out of aluminum to hold the top away because of the top radius. I then bolted the blocks in place, that means you have to acess from the inside. I lucked out as there was a cabnet at each end and was able to have the bolt hidden. I then screw the top mount of the amning to the blocksThe awning has been through some wind while driving that I should have stop and has not moved.

good Luck Wayne
Richard M
FMCA #: 166720
Bus Model: 1967 05 Eagle

Post by Richard M »

Rusty, thanks for your input. Would you just happen to have some pictures of your awning instulation? Just might help me in getting the old brian fired up and going lol. If you do have some and you wouldn't mind sharing, then you might just want to send them to my email. mdmick67@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Richard
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Richard, Here are some photos.

ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Post by ericbsc »

Wayne, Do you have the 12v Eclipse? Do you have the wind sensor on it. I am going to order one this week. Since I am stripping paint and have access to the inside before foam, I am going to mount the blocks. Do you have the 8 or 9' model. The 9 is the xl version but the legs seem to long and by my measurement they will extend down on the fluted siding. Not alot of cost diff. We are a dist. for Staggs and I can get it at dealer cost. How far above the drip rail did you mount?
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Eric, I do not have the wind sensor. If I remember the arms on mine where adjustable. I started by mounting the bottom of the leg over the trim piece and then mounted the blocks at the top. This was 5 or 6 years ago and I have trouble remembering what happened yesterday. I will try and look what model I have and post later. Might go to South Carolina the weekend and will probably forget. If you don't hear from me refresh this thread and I will remember to look.

Good Luck Wayne
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Post by ericbsc »

What part of South Carolina? I am in Spartanburg. If you get a chance give me a call at 864-444-7373
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

Eric and Richard,
Be sure to install a wind/motion sensor. I have a Carefree Mirage awning (lateral arm type) I installed. It has a built in motion detector, much better in my mind than a wind sensor. The reason is the awning really doesn't care what the wind is doing, it is what the wind is doing "to the awning". If the wind doesn't move the awning, due to direction, protection, etc. the awning doesn't need to retract. If the wind, gust or direction, is moving the awning too much, then you want it to retract. The motion detector is the device that Carefree uses. My Mirage came with it, along with an adjustable level of motion. I am a scaredy(I spell like Wayne? LOL) cat and mine is set on level 2 of 5, 5 taking the more motion to retract. I would bet this detector is available for your Eclipse awning. Check with Carefree, I have found them to be very reliable and informative.
By the way, a good part of my concerns come from having seen several people's awnings blow right over the RV even in just moderate winds. Damage or loss of the awning is one thing, the severe resultant damage to the coach is something to consider too.
By the way, I don't like the wind sensors for the whirling noise they make. I know of people that have had to put up with bearing noises after a while as well. The motion sensor does nothing unless the awning gets to moving. I like mine and feel I made the right decision on that subject.

Answering another part of your requested info, I made aluminum brackets that set just above the drip rail, provide a vertical extension of 8" to the sidewall, and then mount to the curve of the roof-line. The brackets are mounted to each the roof frames for the length of the awning (in my case 22') My brackets are all tied together with aluminum straps (1/8" x 2 1/2") on the front (2 pcs) and top 1/8"x 3"). I used wedges I made to fill the void at the bottom of each bracket where the curve starts, to make the assembly very solid. The backing plate of the awning mounts to this set up.

Hope this helps.

Bill
p.s. 8/23/2009
I looked at Carefree of Colorado website today and the Direct Response System (motion detection and control) is available for the Eclipse.
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.