Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 4/20/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com (This link seems to work for my outlook email, but may not work for other email platforms. If it does not load, copy and paste the link in your platform.)

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Cant Shut OFF Interior Heat

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
lscottj
Bus Model: 1975 Eagle, Model 05

Cant Shut OFF Interior Heat

Post by lscottj »

Hello everyone. My name is Scott. I a forum newbie, but owned a 1975 Eagle for 2 years now. My question is.... How do I stop outside heat from coming through the floor in the rear section of the bus? There are 2, what I would consider air handlers, in the floor that allow outside air and/or heat from the engine, to flow into my cabin area. I live in NC and we have hot summers. I have 2 roof units that do very well at keeping us comfortable when sitting still. But when we get on the highway, they can't fight the incoming heat. Is there a fresh/recirculate control panel other than the one to the right of the driver's chair that close those off? Thank you in advance for advice.
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Re: Cant Shut OFF Interior Heat

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Scott can you take some pics of the air handlers so we can help you.
Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Welcome to the board, the intake for the outside air comes from the 2 doors next to you fuel tank doors on each side open those and seal the pipe off with a rag or foam rubber.
Make sure your engine supply water valves are also closed.
The dash controls are for the front only they have nothing to do with air intake at the rear.

good luck
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

If it is the vents I am thinking about, it could be the returns for the OTR system. It could be that when someone took all that stuff out to put the roof airs on, they left those old vents in there but didn't close them off and you are just getting forced air coming from wherever the opening is. Could be something different but that is my first thought instead of an actual heater vent. I don't have any manuals anymore to check the routing but I would just try to follow the ducts and look for an opening.

Ooops... Clifford got here with the answer while I was typing. That man knows more about Eagles that most people have forgotten! 8-)
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
lscottj

Post by lscottj »

buscrazyinFL wrote:Scott can you take some pics of the air handlers so we can help you.
I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back on the forum. I have just got a new camera, as my last one was dropped and was unusable. I will try Saturday to get a good photo in the sunlight. I will then try to load the photos. Thank you.
lscottj

Post by lscottj »

luvrbus wrote:Welcome to the board, the intake for the outside air comes from the 2 doors next to you fuel tank doors on each side open those and seal the pipe off with a rag or foam rubber.
Make sure your engine supply water valves are also closed.
The dash controls are for the front only they have nothing to do with air intake at the rear.

good luck
LUVRBUS, I like what you said about the doors next to the fuel filler doors. If I am correct, those doors are directly connected by a duct to the large grills in the floor. That could totally explain the intake of hot air. I had placed plywood underneath the grill in the floor, but it will be much easier to plug the smaller outside vents. One question of clarification; wont I overheat the engine if I shut off BOTH engine water valves?
Thank you, Scott
lscottj

Post by lscottj »

Songman wrote:If it is the vents I am thinking about, it could be the returns for the OTR system. It could be that when someone took all that stuff out to put the roof airs on, they left those old vents in there but didn't close them off and you are just getting forced air coming from wherever the opening is. Could be something different but that is my first thought instead of an actual heater vent. I don't have any manuals anymore to check the routing but I would just try to follow the ducts and look for an opening.

Ooops... Clifford got here with the answer while I was typing. That man knows more about Eagles that most people have forgotten! 8-)
Thank you Songman for replying as well. I believe that you are correct about Clifford's response. BTW, what does OTR stand for? :oops:
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Over The Road.. Also called Coach Air. Different names for the same thing.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

I leave my lines to the driver heat closed when I don't need them. Have never seen the temps above 190-195. But, I have an 8v71N, four speed manual. With that combination it will run cooler than a turbo and automatic, if the system is in good shape.

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/