Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Tips/Tricks needed.... Rubber hinge baggage door

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
TexasBorderDude
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: new
Bus Model: 1978 Eagle 05

Tips/Tricks needed.... Rubber hinge baggage door

Post by TexasBorderDude »

Okay, I've got a baggage door hinge that's broken. What tips and or tricks can you offer on replacing it? I imagine soap or tire lube will ease the task, but do you just try to balance the door (pretty heavy!) while you thread the rubber in? I'd heard you work the rubber from the center out to the edges, but this seems even harder. Any advise if much appreciated. Thanks,

dg
van
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Tips/Tricks needed.... Rubber hinge baggage door

Post by van »

Doyle ,Clifford knows how,I think there are a couple of pinch bolts(set screws) that have to come out so the rubber can slide out and in and to keep it in place,it's a real "rubber" to work on ;) Silicone grease should work PB blaster should work in getting it out .I have never done this before myself,I did stay at a Holiday inn express once . :lol:
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Hey Doyle,

I'll give you some suggestions on what I did on our 01, not sure how similar it is to yours though.

Just remove all of the old rubber however you can. Remove the bar that holds the top of the rubber hinge, clean real good.
I cleaned the channel real good before inserting the new rubber hinge in the door, I didn't have to use any soapy water, but you might have to.
I inserted the rubber hinge on the door first then attached it to the upper frame.
I was able to support and balance the door on my step ladder. It's one of those that collapses.
Make sure it's properly aligned on each side.
After assembly don't forget to put the screws in , one on each end, that keeps it in place so it doesn't slide.

It really is a two man job, but when there is only one of me I make it work! :lol:

I got my rubber hinge from our friend at Jefferson Bus!

Where are you now?

HTH,

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

Doyle,

First remove the two set screws from each end of the rubber hinge. If you sit inside the baggage bay and look at the extrusion on the bus you will see the set screws. If the rubber is not seperated from the door and the extrusion on the bus, take a utility knife and cut the rubber down the middle and remove the door. Then remove the rubber from the door and the extrusion on the bus. The rubber in the extrusion on the bus comes out through the gap at the middle of the extrusion. Clean the tracks on the door and the extrusion on the bus real good. When you install the new hinge, you will want to cut it a couple of inches shorter than the width of the extrusion before installing it. Then feed one end of the rubber extrusion through the center gap on the center of the extrusion on the bus. Secure it at the end with the set screw. Next feed the other end of the rubber extrusion through the center gap of the extrusion on the bus. Once you have it all the way in, then take a vice grips and stretch the rubber all the way to the end and secure it with the set screw. If you don't stretch the rubber it will bind when you try to install the door. Make sure that you are lubing the rubber as you do this with straight dish soap. Next install the door by sliding it onto the rubber extrusion, this will take two people.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
TexasBorderDude
Club Member
Club Member

Thanks to all for the help. Dan, isn't the center gap on the '01? I have an 05 and don't notice a center gap.

Thanks again...

dg

ps. Paul, I'm in Eugene at Kaiser's... didn't have any handling or tire wear issues, but they found it out of align and some bad parts... really good folks!

dg
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

Doyle,

To my knowledge, all of the Eagles had the gap at the center. I changed quite a few door rubber hinges on Model 05's and they had the center gap as well as the 10, 15 and 20's.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Doyle, I don't have the 1 1/2 inch gap in my hinges at the top but the other 05 here does.
I have to remove the trim piece between the uprights to install mine.
My uprights have a small valley at the top of the uprights works good but I don't think it is factory I believe the converter in Mesa did it that way when he replaced the rusty ones for me years ago.

Clifford
tomhamrick
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F207535
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle Model 10

Post by tomhamrick »

OK Here is my way. I use a engine hoist and straps around the door to hold it up while I cut the rubber loose. Once the door is loose I drill out the rivets for the extrusion and remove it. There are two rows of rivets one just above the door on the outside and one on the inside looking straight up. Once I have the two halves on the work bench the hardest part begins and that is getting the old rubber out. I have tried every thing to get all the pieces out from a razor knife to a dremel tool but the stuff in my groves is like cement. Once I get the majority out I have a 1/4" piece of key steel about 3 feet long that I have a sharp angle cut on one end. This just fits in the tracks for the rubber and I can tap this through with a hammer and clean out the remainder of hinge. Also if the key steel will slide through the tracks, so will the rubber. I then slide the rubber into the door and slide the top extrusion onto the rubber. I also have a friend that makes the 4 inch stainless hinges that are uses on the GMC doors so I will substitute one of these for 4 inches of rubber on each end. These give great support and prevent the rubber from tearing prematurely. I then use the engine hoist to lift the assembly back in the door frame, reinsert the extrusion in the frame and put the rivets back. For me this becomes a one man job and take all the heavy work out.
Tom Hamrick
1984 Eagle 10S
Tom Hamrick
1981 Eagle 10
1991 Prevost H3-40
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Go take the Pantograph doors off the 20 and put on it! ;)
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
TexasBorderDude
Club Member
Club Member

Piece of cake! Thanks for all the tips... got some help from Mike Wilson in Eugene (Springfield) Or. The biggest challenge was to get the pinch screws out. Worked best by cutting the old hinge with a utility knife and putting the door flat on the the ground. Did break off a couple and had to use a die grinder to get the channel flat. Works best with 3 people holding the door as high as possible above the hinge. Did 2 doors in just under 2 hours.
Thanks again to all.

dg

ps. In case you didn't already know, Dick Kaiser is the best alignment guy in the biz in my view and a really super guy. Great people and very efficient shop. Really reasonable prices, but can't say much for the weather here in Eugene.... 106 last Wed!

dg