Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Caster adjustment in an 01

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Caster adjustment in an 01

Post by rusty »

01 owner out there (not to mention names Paul) could I get you to take a couple of pictures of the upper control arm on your front end. I understand the 01's are different in the way they connect to the frame. As you all know I do not like the way Eagle only lets you but about 2 degrees of caster in the front end. I am in the proccess of designing a different front end to get more caster. I know there are aftermarket parts that let you get more caster in an 01 front end. These parts will not work in an 05 so the 01 front end has to be different.

Thank You Wayne
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: Caster adjustment in an 01

Post by Dreamscape »

I guess so................ :shock:

It will not be until later tonight or when Becky takes a break before I can post them.

She's got the master puter all tied up with work!

Does this mean the 01 front end is king of the road? :lol:
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F407926
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle 01,8v92TA,HT740, Southwestern Coach Conversion
1989 Eagle Model 15

Post by Jim H »

Wayne, The Eagle parts manual has a good drawing that shows all of the 01 related parts. If you don't have it I can send it to you. As for a picture, I can take a few in the morning for you. I tried to increase my caster, I built shims, but I could not get the lower arm to break free and allow the movement that I needed to allow for the caster change. I agree with you on the caster. My Corvette has 10 degrees caster and when the wheel is released from a turn it returns fast to a straight line.....If only my Eagle would!!LOL
Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Guys it must be a bus thing reading the Prevost and MCI manuals it calls for 3.5 maxium caster the normal is +2 3/4 degrees depending on the weight and that is for a 1 piece axle IFS axles like the Eagle in the SOB are 2 max.
I don't have a problem with mine returning to center could be the 12R 22.55 tires and the power steering I have. good luck

Clifford
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Here you go. It looks like someone has installed shims and painted it red. I really like how she steers, true and straight.

I had to take one more at another angle, I liked Jim's better! Mine's more colorful, all I need is some white paint.

If you need any more shots let me know.

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
1989 Eagle Model 15

Post by Jim H »

01 Eagle upper control arm. Rust, roadfilm and misc paint work....No charge!!LOL
Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
1989 Eagle Model 15

Post by Jim H »

Another angle:

Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Thank Paul and Jim for the pictures. Yes the 01 is different. Kaiser alinement in OR. has a longer pin you can put in the connection to the frame on the upper control arm to lay the arm back and give it more caster. With them have this pin tells me we are not the only ones that wish for more caster. These buses where designed when power steering was not used. The less caster the easier they where to steer. But with less caster they tend to wander. I have driven 3 buses my 05 my 15 and a 10. My 05 wanders a little. Over the years with alinements and new parts I have gotten it better, but correction while driving is still needed. My 15 I drove for a total of 10 miles. It drove better than my 05,but that was only for 10 miles and not a very good test and I was excited and I was not focussed on the handling of the bus. The 10 I drove for about 800 miles and I can say it was not a lot better than my 05. When passing a truck I watch how much correcting they do while driving and it is far less than I do. These trucks have as high as 5 degrees of caster. I will try to get a least 3 degrees caster in my 15 when done. Jim yes you have to losen the big nut on the bottom and free the connection to adjust the caster. You can move the spring foward but with the set up there is no rotation in the upper arm and it starts to but things in a bind over 2 degrees of caster.

Thank You Wayne
rhbelter
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F92654
Bus Model: Eagle -01 1967 Cummins M-11 10 spd OD RR

Post by rhbelter »

Ahoy, Eagles,

Rusty hit the important factor of more castor ---- Bind ----.

If you look at the geometry of the torsion bar and upper 'a' frame, there is NO allowance for angular deflection of the pivot bearings. They are all parallel axis. As the suspension flexes, these elements pivot in the same angular relationship. When you add castor, they will no longer pivot without angular change.

The lower pivot is really massive, and even if you free the big tapered end of the torsion bar, and then re-tighten it, when it flexes, it will transmit some massive forces up to the upper 'a' frame bushings.

To do it right, one would almost need ball joints bottom and top. NOT easy.

I would be concerned about fatigue failure of the suspension parts if you manage to get a lot of castor into it. Inspect it often and well.

Enjoy /s/ Bob
Bob Belter Carmel CA ---- Eagle -01 /w/ Cummins M-11/ Roadranger ten speed RTO1110