Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Alternator/Generator?

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
gsriley1
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle Model 10

Alternator/Generator?

Post by gsriley1 »

Can anyone tell me what I have here? The bearing is making noise and I need to decide whether to repair or replace.
Thanks,
Greg
Greg Riley
Magnolia, TX
1985 Eagle Model 10
5KidzKrazy
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: Alternator/Generator?

Post by Dreamscape »

By the looks of it I would replace it, not knowing what condition it's in on the inside. I'm not sure of what size you need as I've never replaced mine. One of the other guys will chime in. One off a truck might work.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Looks like a 270 amp Delco if you ar not keeping the factory air or plan on running your coach ac from a inverter replace it.
I had one rebuilt and it cost 800 bucks.
You can go with a dual alternator system for less bucks one for house charging and one for the coach chassis.These guys are good to deal with http://www.nationsautoelectric.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and have good prices good luck
Clifford
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

I think we need to have Clifford bronzed! He is a walking bus dictionary!
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
gsriley1

Post by gsriley1 »

Can you post a picture of how you mounted the twin alternators, and the attendant wiring? The unit that is on now spins freely, but with noisy bearings. The lr engine compartment access door was apparently left open for a period of time which allowed it to get wet, and rust the pulleys.

I have written multiple auto tech manuals (one specifically on auto A/C) and plan to install cruise air for the driver using an engine driven compressor, and an evaporator my supplier calls a "mini-bus" unit. I'll cool the rest of the coach either with existing basement system or a roof system.

Previously I asked about eliminating the t-drive, and all of the attendant hardware. BTW, what the heck is the right name for that thing. I know it ain't a "t-drive!" The reply I received recommended leaving it as is and replacing the bearings.

It seems to me that driving an directly alternator off the engine, and utilizing a large electric radiator fan (like many of the new diesel trucks) would help fuel mileage tremendously. Has anyone else done this?
Greg
Greg Riley
Magnolia, TX
1985 Eagle Model 10
5KidzKrazy
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

Greg, There have been a few try to go electric, not very happy with the results. I'm sure the ones who have tried will be glad to respond to this.

The original fan pulls a lot of air if the shroud is in good shape. I haven't had any trouble overheating at all with our original setup on our 8v71N. I figure if the engineers designed it this way it was for a good reason.

The T drive is called a Mitre Box.

Do you have your manual yet? It will be of tremendous help in determining the correct lube points, fluid type and so forth.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Gregg, The reason trucks can get away with electric fans is the have ram air. We have to pull our air in from the side.

Good luck Wayne
gsriley1

Post by gsriley1 »

The manuals are on the way to me, I'm hopeful they may be in today's mail.

I have to replace the mitre box, as that was one of the reason the bus was originally parked. It did come with a used one that seems good. It seems that alignment will be critical.

I looked at the Nations web site, and will probably go with the dual alternator system. Another suggestion was that I use a single big truck alternator. The same person suggested that I use three 31 series batteries in parallel instead of the two original 8D's. The rationale is that they are cheaper, smaller, lighter, and more readily available.

The temperture gauges all have "tell-tales" that are sitting at around 180, so I guess overheating wasn't an issue. They also installed a radiator mister system.

Do truck parts places carry those super long fan belts?

Today may be the day I finally start her. I'll try and post the video of the wrecker accidentally pull starting her. If the way she was dragging that wrecker backwards is any indication, the engine is as healthy as they claimed. She almost pulled the front wheels of the wrecker off the ground.

I was going to post a lot of pictures yesterday, but we were having sporadic internet outages all day.

I've restored several show winning Corvair Greenbrier Vans, and this Eagle seems like a gigantic 'Brier!
Greg
Greg Riley
Magnolia, TX
1985 Eagle Model 10
5KidzKrazy
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

Any good belt supplier should be able to get them, find out from a local trucker where he gets his. I'll search for my spares and get a number off them if you like.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 407798
Bus Model: 1979 Eagle Model 5

Post by JimGnitecki »

Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Look for a recent thread on electric fans versus mechanical. In it, I explained why the physics of electric fans just won't work well on a bus (You cannot get enough amps at enough volts to make any real power)

2. Check the design and orientation of the radiator mister. It is POSSIBLE that it is why the alternator bearings got rusted up, especially if the mister is poorly directed or sprays too much water. That could also be hell on the belts, since it would cause them to slip if a bit loose and would also help them attract dirt to wear them.

3. The presence of the mister might well indicate that all was NOT well with cooling. Most people don't add one until they think they need it.
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
1979 Eagle Model 05 reborn around 1997