Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Can we discuss . . . uh . . . toilets?

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 407798
Bus Model: 1979 Eagle Model 5

Can we discuss . . . uh . . . toilets?

Post by JimGnitecki »

Our Eagle came with a Sealand Traveler model 910 (not a current model) toilet.

It's fine except for the fact that . . . how do I put this delicately? . . it seems a little "small" in terms of hole size. The hole in the seat is only 9.5" long front to rear, and the bowl diameter front to rear is only 11". The gross ( :D ) depth of the toilet front to rear is only 19".

I see that Sealand make a model called the "Concerto" (which sounds so much more elegant than "Traveler" :D ), which is 23" front to rear, so prsumably has a larger hole diameter in both seat and bowl. BUT, the Concerto model appears to require 12 volt power, unless it is also possible to operate it manually - the online installation and owner's manual does not mention whether or not it can be operated without electricity, but the sales info text implies it can. I want to avoid having to run 12 volt power to the toilet because (a) it ain't there now and (b) it would be a hassle and (c) I favor simplicity over complexity virtually every time. So, if the Concerto requires power, I'm not interested.

I also want pure gravity operation. No vacuum assist, no air assist, etc. Again, I want simplicty and reliability. Not much is worse than a toilet that won't work when you need it.

Then, there is the mounting flange business. The postings I have seen imply that there are 2 different bolt patterns for RV toilet mounting flanges: 2 bolt and 4 bolt. I have 4 bolt. And again, I'd prefer to NOT have to change.

My wall to center of hole clearance is about 11.5". A gross length of 23 or even 24" would be acceptable without blopcking the pass-thru aisle in the bathroom.

Unfortunately, for reasons I have not yet explored, the instalelr of the model 910 Traveler mounted it NOT directly to the floor, but rather on top of an octagon shaped raised piece just somewhat larger than the base of the Traveler. I am assuming that this means I would need to EXTEND that base rearward if I go with say a Concerto, since the Cincerto TOILET BASE extends rearward quite a bit more than the Traveler does. i.e. More of the 11.25" distance from center of hole to rear of toilet (same on both models) is used by the Concerto to provide more STABILITY as well as that "European look".

Here are 2 photos that illustrate the current Traveler toilet and the raised octagonal base:

In summary, here are the specs I want:
- White color
- Elongated bowl and seat design so we don't feel crowded and don't need superlative aim
- Standard (not low-profile) height
- sprayer attachment
- Water only connection.
- Gravity flush only.No air, no vacuum gizmos.
- I'd prefer to not have to extend the darn octagonal base rearward, as that would probably be a bigger job then swapping the toilet, since that the mounting flange is WITHIN that raised base I'm sure.

So, what are my choices, and what can I expect to spend?

How difficult will the swap be?

How, uh, unpleasant will it be?

How long would it take an office worker but mechanically somewhat capable guy to do the swap?
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
1979 Eagle Model 05 reborn around 1997
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Can we discuss . . . uh . . . toilets?

Post by rusty »

I think mine is a Sealand and it is a comfortable unit. It is 12 volt operated. I'm afraid you will have some work to swap them out. I don't know why yours is raised it might be a fabrication problem. Mine sets on the floor. The 11.5 inch rough in should be OK. Not much help but maybe smarter than me will chime in.

Good Luck Wayne
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JimGnitecki »

Wayne: I SUSPECT the raised piece is there to provide a firmer, and THICKER, base than the plywood floor alone would have provided, to mount the flange into.

The mount IS very rigid. No tipping! ;)
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

That makes sence. The base on mine is larger. I think you will have to make yours bigger.

Good Luck Wayne
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Jim, if you want a good toilet go with the Microphor but it will be 12v with a over ride. The air flush is for remote mounting the tank and can be mounted 10 ft from the toilet. good luck

Clifford
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JimGnitecki »

As sometimes happens, the eaiest solution is often unexpected.

I have the Sealand Model 910 Traveler. The opening in the seat, measured from front to rear, is 9.5 inches.

I called a Sealand dealer and explained that I was looking for an RV toilet with a longer front to rear opening in the seat and longer bowl below it of course. The sales person I talked to said that he belives the newer Traveler models (500 series) have a longer opening, and still use the same 4-bolt base as the one I have. He actually measured one and called me back. He was correct. The front to back seat opening on the new 500 series Traveler is 11” versus the 9.5” on my 910!

This represents the ideal solution for me: No change in mounting required, or any OTHER change. Just disconnect the water line, undo the 4 mounting bolts, remove old flange seal and bolts, place new seal and new bolts, place new toilet onto the flange, tighten bolts, and reconnect water. And have 1.5” more room.

No need to add 12 volt power. And, the new Traveler , despite having a 1.5" longer bowl opening, is only about an inch or less longer in lenght due to different shape. So, almost no additional encroachment into the aisle space.

I'm going to try to get to Camping World or some other nearby stocking RV dealer where I can confirm the measurements myself, but it looks like I'll be ordering a new Traveler soon - naturally, I want to get it from the guy who took the time to check out the dimensions for me.
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com