Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

voltage regulator problem

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Twoeagles
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F406266
Bus Model: 1964 eagle bus model 01 and 1988 eagle bus model 15

voltage regulator problem

Post by Twoeagles »

I am having a problem with the charging system on my 1988 eagle 15 . The voltage fluctuates from under charg to over charge on the gauge, about 10volts to 15volts giving all the lights a flashing appearance. The manual that I have does not address this problem. Has any one experanced this? maybe could send me in the right direction. Thanks, Ray
Ray Sell
1964 Eagle 01
8v71 4 Speed Manual
1988 Eagle 15
8v92T 740 Allison
itchyfeet
Bus Model: Silver Eagel 05 #9662 1976
Made by Bus & Car Belgium.
Engine 1989 B10 Volvo and ZF 4HP500 4 Speed Automatic
Located in Interlaken Switzerland

Re: voltage regulator problem

Post by itchyfeet »

Hello Ray,
did you install some new electric user? dos it the same when you have all electric users on (light, beam, van....)?
Are you sure, all your batteries are working good?

The AC Generator/Alternator creat electric between 14 - 17v. If the regulator is broken, it can make + or - till 10v. The electric wave needs to get regulatet for give constant the same 13.6v out, if you need electric or not.
If your Batteries are ok and no new Toy installed, than i would look at the regulator. You can messure the in and out electric and find out if it is the same.

hope it helps
pesche
Pesche & Nats
Interlaken Switzerland

Silver Eagle 05 1976 #9662
Engine Volvo B10 1989
Automatic ZF 4HP500 4Speed
Harvester
Bus Model: 1990 Eagle Model 15

Post by Harvester »

Twoeagles, Another thing you can check ,if the regulator is constant ,is the sending unit in the electral box in the engine compartment to the dash gage. Mine was going from 5 to 14 volts, then it went to zero.I checked the voltage going to the Batt.,then the sending unit. I replaced it and that corrected the problem.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Ray, I can't help you with this one, but just wanted to say, I'm glad to see you are working on your new baby! These guys will get you headed in the right direction.

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Ray-

Coincidentally, I also have an '88 Model 15 (formerly a Trailways then 'Hound). We experienced the same problem when we first had the bus. Basically, the voltage was oscillating between 12-14 volts with the lights doing the same thing.

After doing a little diagnosis, I found a three wire relay (like an old Ford horn or starter relay) that was wired in-line between the alternator and regulator. One of the poles was significantly corroded, and when I cleaned the pole (can't remember which one), it worked fine. It had a Delco long part number (7 digit something like 1118751); I replaced that relay and it worked fine.

The relay was located in the left rear corner panel not too far from the voltage regulator.

Good luck,

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
silvereaglejerry15
Bus Model: [IMG]http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/silvereaglejerry15/DSCI1881-2.jpg[/IMG]
1988 Model 15

Post by silvereaglejerry15 »

I too am having the same problem, If i don't get this problem solved.
I am just going to put a 130 amp AC DELCO self energized alternator on the bus, if your not using the bus air u can do it. I just am going to have to manufacture a bracket and the belt will be driving off the harmonic imbalancer. I have seen this on another bus and it is doing great!
rhbelter
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F92654
Bus Model: Eagle -01 1967 Cummins M-11 10 spd OD RR

Post by rhbelter »

Ahoy, Ray,

Below is a post I put on the bus conversion bb in March for my (12vdc) regulator(s).
May be of help to you. I still have a couple of them.

Enjoy /s/ Bob

Re: Quartzsite 'left-overs'
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 03:10:16 AM » Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ahoy, Tom,

The regulators are Delco Remy 9000551
Pretty much the 'standard' item to control those big old alternators.
One of these came from my -01 Eagle, controlling a ~~250 amp air cooled alternator.
The others from GM's, controlling the big oil cooled alternators.

I'm surprised that these have not been snapped up at only $50.00 each by you busguys.
The older buses many of you drive almost certainly have one of these aboard.
They are so reliable that you probably don't even know where it is.
If it quits, you will have a problem finding anyone in an electric shop who even knows what it is that you want.
Then, when you find one, you will discover how very valuable the shop believes it to be.

Enjoy /s/ Bob email rhbelter@comcast.net
Bob Belter Carmel CA ---- Eagle -01 /w/ Cummins M-11/ Roadranger ten speed RTO1110
silvereaglejerry15
Bus Model: [IMG]http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/silvereaglejerry15/DSCI1881-2.jpg[/IMG]
1988 Model 15

Post by silvereaglejerry15 »

If you have the regulator for my 1988 15 please let me know i need one you can email me or call me at (912) 288-4612
Jerry
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

When you have voltage swings as described, you also have to consider a circuit breaker doing its job. Could be you have an overload condition on a circuit that is causing the circuit breaker to open, cool off and reclose, only to open again due to high current. If the "overload current" is severe enough, it can cause the voltage drop and give the appearance of a regulator problem. If that is the case, you should be able to hear the breaker clicking as it opens and closes. Might save a heap of money on replacing regulators or alternators/generators.
Bill
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

A bad diode in the alternator will also cause that problem .
I just changed one in mine to correct the very same problem.

Clifford