Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Leak proof exhaust conections

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
van
Club Member
Club Member

Leak proof exhaust conections

Post by van »

Hi, I thought that this would be a good topic and maybe some education gained in the mean time.I have heard some technics on the subject already but would like to pose the inquiry here amongst eagle owners on this forum.putting our engine together last week proved challenging for me and very informative,although every thing went well installing the exhaust in that I made shure all conections were cleaned up well and clamps were servicable still I have leaks in the pipe leading to the turbo(hot side) causing a decrease in turbo boost.The left side (looking at engine from rear of bus)has a gee wiz high dollar flex tube from the manifold to turbo,the right side has a section which is a solid 90 degree bend from the manifold to turbo which is the culprit that leaks at both conecttions.

What is the best way to solve this boost robbing dilemma,should I use a connection cement ,Jbweld ,new pipe,duck tape etc ? :roll: As always many thanks in advance for any info suggestions admonishments ,rebukes ,donuts ,free fuel cards etc.

Signed; Leaky

Van 8-)
van
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Leak proof exhaust conections

Post by van »

Did manage to get most of the leaks resolved yesterday at cliffords house ,and alsow installed new air box cover gaskets hopefully this resolves the boost pressure ,haven't had a chance to test drive the 15 but we'll see how it works out on the way to the Q rally see ya'll there .
Eagle 20
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 20
6V92 DDEC II, Allison HTB748

Re: Leak proof exhaust conections

Post by Eagle 20 »

Van,
I would suggest that you make certain that the clamps are not distorted and are applying even pressure to the flanges and also make certain that the flanges are at the proper angles still. These can actually relax over time and then the clamp will not apply a good pressure to the joint. Also, from my experience I have found very fine cracking in the flange and/or in at the area where the flange intersects with the actual pipe. Another obvious thing to check is that all components are mounting at correct locations and are square. Hope these things help/ - Greg

van wrote:Hi, I thought that this would be a good topic and maybe some education gained in the mean time.I have heard some technics on the subject already but would like to pose the inquiry here amongst eagle owners on this forum.putting our engine together last week proved challenging for me and very informative,although every thing went well installing the exhaust in that I made shure all conections were cleaned up well and clamps were servicable still I have leaks in the pipe leading to the turbo(hot side) causing a decrease in turbo boost.The left side (looking at engine from rear of bus)has a gee wiz high dollar flex tube from the manifold to turbo,the right side has a section which is a solid 90 degree bend from the manifold to turbo which is the culprit that leaks at both conecttions.

What is the best way to solve this boost robbing dilemma,should I use a connection cement ,Jbweld ,new pipe,duck tape etc ? :roll: As always many thanks in advance for any info suggestions admonishments ,rebukes ,donuts ,free fuel cards etc.

Signed; Leaky

Van 8-)
Greg Roberts
New Mexico
1989 Eagle Model 20
6V92 DDEC II, Allison ATEC HTB 748
http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20