Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

6v92 power loss problems

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
bob
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle Model 10

6v92 power loss problems

Post by bob »

Well,

I 've just joined and recently posted questions about my electricarl. I've received some guidance, all that sounds good. I have not been able to check it out yet though. It was running fine although I was having problems with charging and heater blower operation. I just tried to take to my sons to work on these problems, but came up with another problem. I started down the road and it wouldn't hardly pull a small hill. Just no power. I did notice that it used to puff some black smoke if you left a stop sign and then it would dissappear. Well, now it doesn't seem to have that black smoke. I figured the first place to start was fuel filters as long as it wasn't smoking. I changed the fuel filters. one was about 2/3 full and the other one full. I filled my new filters up and installed them on the bus. I tried going down the road and had the same problem. Now, I am stumped. I'm thinking it has got to be a fuel problem. If it was an air problem it would be pouring out the black smoke, right? I thought maybe the fuel pump, but I don't know where to start. I'm about ready to cut my loses and run. Any ideas are appreciated. Bob
BoxcarOkie

Re: 6v92 power loss problems

Post by BoxcarOkie »

I have a friend who has a '95 Prevo and it is exhibiting the same problems, and after multiple changes of fuel filters, they are now telling him it is most likely (going to be) the fuel pump. He recently traveled from AZ to OH and the trip cost him over $2K in charges for on the road service and replacement parts.

Are we having fun yet? Good luck.

BCO
No I didn't say that ... Must have been some other guy.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

They have a pickup tube in the fuel tank with a screen on the end that plugs some time or you could have a bad hose.The gear type fuel pump works or it don't no in between on it unless your drive is slipping on the shaft. I would start there checking the fork drive by remove the pump and checking for excess play. good luck
bob
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle Model 10

Post by bob »

Well, smiles to all. Thank you very much for the info and ideas through this post. I took my bed out to get to the top side of the engine this morning to find the problem. I might add I prayed about it last night and this morning. When I first started looking at the top of the engine, there it was staring me in the face. The pawl on the top that is used to stop the engine was partially closed. Evidently it has been geeting sticky for quite sometime and finally seized up completely. When the shut down solenoid came out and contacted the pawl it pushed to off. When the solenoid released the pawl, the pawl only moved about a 1/2 inch or so, evidently leaving the fuel partially shut off. I used my PB Blaster and loosened that baby up and then I tried to lube it as best I could. I buttoned her up and took her for a ride and like to loose my seating from all the power. Well, as you all know, that's an exageration, but it does seem to be back to normal. Praise the Lord. Now I have to continue to try to find my electrical problem that I posted. Several helpers there also. Thanks again Bob