Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Hub Caps

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Hub Caps

Post by buscrazyinFL »

I was going to post this tip a few weeks ago but I forgot...

I had my front seals replaced about a year ago because they were leaking. I noticed when we got home from SC (a 1500 mi trip for us) the driver side front outside hub was leaking oil. I knew those seals didn't have that many miles on them so I decided to replace all the caps on the hubs. It takes four altogether - two in ft and two on the tag and that fixed the problem. I have taken another trip since I replaced the caps, and there is still no leak.

So my tip is: check those caps before you go on a trip. They might look ok, as mine did, but they were leaking just the same. It's something to think about, and it's an inexpensive fix.

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
BoxcarOkie

Re: Hub Caps

Post by BoxcarOkie »

Here is something else to consider.

If you are running hub covers on the rear, that go into the wheel (from the backside) you might want to stop and think about this. When recently having to be towed in the Atlanta area, the wrecker did not have enough air pressure to bust loose the lugs on the rear wheels, which he needed to do in order to pull the rear axle to tow it.

Consequently he had to jack it up, really high, and pull the drive shaft (which cost extra by the way) and it was towed like that. You might be money ahead, to replace the old style hub covers with the new ones, that simply screw on (top of) the wheel and are easily removed.

The tow cost $508 and insurance picked up $500 of that, so it worked out well, but it could have been a lot worse.

BCO
No I didn't say that ... Must have been some other guy.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;