Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Model 01 with Cummins L10 overheating issue

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 407798
Bus Model: 1979 Eagle Model 5

Re: Model 01 with Cummins L10 overheating issue

Post by JimGnitecki »

Hal wrote:The electric fan package Chris refers to is a group of 8 fans in a 31"x51" design. It draws 400 amps, 24 volts. It would probably require a custom radiator and structural modifications to fit the bus. Even then, it may not be enough cooling to handle a high hp, heavy conversion in hot weather.
The tried and true belt and fan system can always be made to work when installed properly.There's a reason the OE's didn't use electric motors....
Good luck,Hal
I agree. 400 amps at 24 volts is STILL only 9600 watts or 13 hp. Yes, an "array" of fans might be able to better utilize the surface area of a rectangular radiator, but it's still not much actual POWER to pull air through.
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
1979 Eagle Model 05 reborn around 1997
chrisber
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F138799
Bus Model: 1984 Eagle Model 10 (As Good As It Gets) #020585
-- Currently powered by DDC 6V92TA, Allison MT740
-- DDC 12.7 L Series 60 (Pre-EGR) and adapted Allison HD 4560
still sitting on special dolly ready to be installed.

Post by chrisber »

During the course of another thread, an author reminded me that “all of us here do things differently…” Although I am somewhat at a loss over the response, I nonetheless tried to keep it in mind.

Hal, I can’t agree more. I just thought that IF an electric radiator fan system is preferred at any cost, THEN Engineered Machined Products, Inc. headquartered in Escanaba, MI can probably come up with the best solution.

EMP is currently the #1 manufacturer of diesel engine pumps in North America having established a solid market share. EMP has also built a solid reputation in the heavy-duty/diesel industry for its advanced R&D engineering capabilities. They are certainly qualified to provide solutions linked to problems with misapplied thermodynamics. They also make a 450 Amp, 24VDC, brushless alternator – a perfect Delco 50DN drop-in replacement.

Chris
Christian Berlit
El Paso, TX

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 407798
Bus Model: 1979 Eagle Model 5

Post by JimGnitecki »

Now THAT's an alternator!
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
1979 Eagle Model 05 reborn around 1997
rhbelter
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F92654
Bus Model: Eagle -01 1967 Cummins M-11 10 spd OD RR

Post by rhbelter »

Ahoy, Eagles,

The L-10 engine included a varient which used very small coolant plumbing, and a charge cooler in the intake manifold. This may or may not be a factor regarding the true engine configuration /coolant configuration of this bus.

EagleFolk with good knowledge of Cummins may be able to expand on this matter.

I agree with Hal -- Go with an engine driven fan. Far more efficient, powerful, simple and far less expensive.

My M-11 Cummins with a 34" 12 bladed fan running at 60% of engine speed is almost off the bottom of the fan power map at 1600 engine rpm, and NO cooling problems.

I have my removed Laycock fan overdrive unit listed on the Eagle Mall. With all the informed talk about cooling problems, I thought that it would be fought over and sold in an hour.
Not so. I guess that the cooling problems being discussed are not serious enough to do something about.

Enjoy /s/ Bob
Bob Belter Carmel CA ---- Eagle -01 /w/ Cummins M-11/ Roadranger ten speed RTO1110