Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH A 1981 MODEL 10 HELP...

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
chrisber
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F138799
Bus Model: 1984 Eagle Model 10 (As Good As It Gets) #020585
-- Currently powered by DDC 6V92TA, Allison MT740
-- DDC 12.7 L Series 60 (Pre-EGR) and adapted Allison HD 4560
still sitting on special dolly ready to be installed.

Re: ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH A 1981 MODEL 10 HELP...

Post by chrisber »

Bob -

The standard wet-cell vehicle batteries in your Eagle can be charged to usually 14.3 Volts, or as recommended by the manufacturer. Most automotive chargers (alternator/voltage regulator) are factory set for cut off between 14.3 and 14.7 Volts. As the voltage drops (usually down to about 12.6 to 13.3 Volts), the regulator resumes charging.

With the option of a user-adjustable regulator, I wouldn’t go much higher than 14.7 Volts, because overcharging destroys batteries quickly. Conversely, undercharging destroys batteries too, but more subtly as the battery stratifies and will no longer maintain a charge.

Sustained charging, on the other hand, where the batteries are "floated" at a constant charge with an RV converter or automatic portable charger is usually not done at more than 13.8 V (13.65 V makes batteries last even longer). It's supposed to keep the batteries charged up to a reasonable level without undercharging or overcharging them (the assumption is that they will be "topped off" during travel).

In conclusion, I’d respectfully recommend not futzing with the alternator voltage any longer. 14+ Volts is good enough. Instead, focus on the Voltage Regulator relay as I mentioned in an earlier post. Make sure that the connections are clean and the relay energizes when voltage is applied to contact 85 and 86 is properly grounded. Also make sure that the VR relay is a 6 Volt model. That is, the coil is rated at that voltage to reliably make or break the contacts (see Dan’s advice earlier in the thread).

Please remember that the output voltage from the Alternator/Regulator assembly is fed via wire #97 to contact 86 of the relay K5 (you can test the voltage at terminal T-97 at the C&D panel). Make sure there are no voltage fluctuations or severe ripples.

Give it a try, because I don’t think there is a significant difference between the blower control circuitry of an Eagle-05 and -10. Probably the only divergence is the physical location and implementation of the A/C evaporator and heating coils under the dashboard vs. in the spare tire compartment – although I am not sure, since I don’t have Eagle-05 schematic diagrams handy.

All best wishes,

Chris
Christian Berlit
El Paso, TX

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. -- Friedrich Nietzsche