Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Mystery screened openings?

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 407798
Bus Model: 1979 Eagle Model 5

Mystery screened openings?

Post by JimGnitecki »

My 1979 Model 05 Eagle has 2 "mysterious" screened openings with doors, just rear of the fuel filler doors:

Inside the doors, you can see there is a 4" diameter "plug plate".

On this passenegr side door, the screw screwing it is TIGHT.

On the other (driver) side, there was no plate, but rather a wad of fiberglass insulation covered with duct tape (sigh . . . workmanship standards among bus owners vary . . . :) ). The fact that they are both "capped" seems to indicate they are currently unused.

What ARE these???

The reason for asking at this specific point in time is that I want to install a Splendide XC washer/dryer in my closet, and this screened door would make a TERRIFIC ( and 4" diameter!) exhaust opening. It happens to be RIGHT below where the washer/dryer unit's exhaust comes out the back of the unit. so, IF I can appripiate ( or misappropirate) this screened opening, the exhaust from the washer / dryer would:

- be only about 2 feet in total length
- have a 4 inch diameter (which the XC model is set up for!)
- require NO additional hole to be cut in the wall of the bus
- NOT be prone to water leaks around the screened fitting (this entire setup on the bus wall is ROBUST and appears very waterproof)

I'm hoping someone knowledgeable about Eagles can tell em what these opening are, and if I am lucky, also tell me they are unusued and "available".
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
1979 Eagle Model 05 reborn around 1997
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Mystery screened openings?

Post by luvrbus »

Jim, those were for fresh air for the original heat and air conditioning most of those had louvers over the top of the screen.I installed my docking lights there for the rear good luck
Clifford
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 407798
Bus Model: 1979 Eagle Model 5

Re: Mystery screened openings?

Post by JimGnitecki »

Thank-you, Luvrbus.

I already have rear docking lights in yet ANOTHER location, front and back, on each side of the bus.

So, these screened openings seem like fair game to use as an exhaust for the dryer,w ithout cutting another hole in the wall of the bus.

But, in the meantime, another problem with the washer/dryer combo has arisen. I'll post about that separately since I want to try to keep the threads each to one topic.
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
1979 Eagle Model 05 reborn around 1997