Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Fan Drive Overdrive Unit.

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
rhbelter
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F92654
Bus Model: Eagle -01 1967 Cummins M-11 10 spd OD RR

Fan Drive Overdrive Unit.

Post by rhbelter »

Ahoy, Eagles,

I just posted my Fan Drive Overdrive Unit on the Eagle Mall.

You 'hot engine' guys may want to take a look.

Enjoy /s/ Bob
Bob Belter Carmel CA ---- Eagle -01 /w/ Cummins M-11/ Roadranger ten speed RTO1110
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 407798
Bus Model: 1979 Eagle Model 5

Re: Fan Drive Overdrive Unit.

Post by JimGnitecki »

rhbelter: I suspect there woudl be a lot more interest in this if more bus owners understood how MUCH heat a diesel produces, how much power it takes to drive a fan, and the advantages of using a setup that only diverts more power to the fan when it is NEEDED.

I have not yet gotten reliable fan horsepower data specific to Eagles, but the Caterpillar booklet "Understanding Coach / RV Performance" says that their SMALLEST motorhome engine, the C7 350 hp engine, diverts 25 hp to the fan at 2100 engine rpm, and about 43 hp at engine rpm of 2500 (if the engine is governed to 2500 obviously).

Given that the TOTAL horsepower required to cruise at 60 mph with no headwind and no grades is about 126 hp for a 34,000 lb bus with 90 sq ft of frontal area, this is a BIG add-on to the power required. Like 13%! That translates directly into extra fuel used and less power available for headwinds, grades, and passing acceleration.
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
1979 Eagle Model 05 reborn around 1997