Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

GPS

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
BoxcarOkie

GPS

Post by BoxcarOkie »

deleted.
Last edited by BoxcarOkie on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
No I didn't say that ... Must have been some other guy.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: GPS

Post by Songman »

There is a system called CoPilot that is made especially for truck drivers. It is available to run on laptops or you can also get it built into a GPS unit. The GPS unit that uses it is called PC Miler. I have also seen it at Flying J bundled with a small laptop unit. I have the software and have looked at it on my laptop. Unfortunately it is not compatible with my Bluetooth GPS receiver. It has proprietary code built in so you have to buy their GPS receiver for it to work on your laptop.

Microsoft Streets & Trips and DeLorme Street Atlas both work with my GPS receiver on my laptop. I have used both over the years but seem to have settled on Microsoft lately. But I do normally stick with my portable GPS unit that sticks to the windshield just because it is so convenient, although not as detailed as what you get on the laptop. Sony makes a nice widescreen Nav-U unit that goes to split screen when you get close to a turn and shows you a 3D view.
Last edited by Songman on Sun May 31, 2009 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to correct unit name.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
BoxcarOkie

Post by BoxcarOkie »

deleted.
Last edited by BoxcarOkie on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
No I didn't say that ... Must have been some other guy.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Sorry.... Sony makes the Nav-U. Garmin makes the Nuvi.

I found two wide screen Nav-U's on Amazon. One is 4.3" and the other 4.8". They are $99 and $211 respectively. Costco carried them for a while too.

Do a Google search on Sony NVU83T OR Sony NVU73T to see if you can find them locally.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
rhbelter
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F92654
Bus Model: Eagle -01 1967 Cummins M-11 10 spd OD RR

Post by rhbelter »

Ahoy, Eagles,

I tried a laptop with MS streets & Trips. Liked it, but often could not see it due to glare, and I never did find a decent place to mount it.

I installed an ordinary PC, with an LCD monitor (~~15") mounted above my driver's seat. ( I have a substantial shelf above the top of the windshield). Works pretty good, with far less glare problems. So far, I don't have a good way to run or park my mouse. I tried a track ball, but it won't 'do all'. I really don't need the keyboard except for prior trip planning, with the mouse doing the job while moving.

People are entertained by my 'six eyed fellow' sunglasses. I mounted a set of those little flat reading glasses above my sunglasses, so that I can see the monitor OK.

Of course, when I leave the bus, I'm instantly lost, so my nephew just gave me a Garmin NUVI 260W for my birthday. Just learning, but it seems to works well. Thus far, I've not found a way to prior plan a trip with succesive points of routing, ala MS S&T. You just go where it tells you.

Enjoy /s/ Bob
Bob Belter Carmel CA ---- Eagle -01 /w/ Cummins M-11/ Roadranger ten speed RTO1110
DeBar
Bus Model: 1969 05 #7857 R44
Picked up 8/7/09
Original toilet,bunk on each side over axle between partition walls
Otherwise just about empty and waiting for me
Alabama

Post by DeBar »

My personal opinion is that TomTom has the best user interface, but the interface really is a matter of taste. As far as computer software goes I have Microsoft streets and trips, delorme, and Copilot.
Microsoft and Delorme products are about the same, just depends on how you like the feel of the software. I believe they both use navquest maps, although I may be wrong. All three work fine with the gps unit I got with my Microsoft streets.
I have not actually driven around with copilot, but they do use proprietary maps and the few trips I messed around with planning it did not always find the addresses as well as the other two. It does have the option for bridge height as well as what tunnels don't take lp. It will also help keep you from going down roads that will be difficult to turn an rv around on. But as I said haven't actually traveled with it yet and it was not as good at finding addresses as the other two, although I was looking for rural addresses so I am not sure of what it is like for the map data overall. I have also used a Garmin unit and although I like the TomTom interface better it works well.

Personally I say if you are looking for gps unit, go to the store and play with them. And when you are done, go to another store and play with some more before you buy. MOST of the systems that I have found use 1 of 2 different sets of mapping data, and since that comes from that map company not the gps manufacturer how the unit feels to you is most important.
1969 05
8V71
4 Speed
Harvester
Bus Model: 1990 Eagle Model 15

Post by Harvester »

We travel close to100K per year, I have used Tom Tom for appro. 18 months. It works fine, easy to use etc.We do check an Atlas against Tomtom because it will take you on a longer route because of interstate and it is not the best route sometimes.
Harvester
1990 Eagle -Model 15
Connelly Springs, NC
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

We have On-Star in our Silverado and it is dead on, I mean door to door dead on. the first time we used it, it took us fom our garage right to Don Fairchild's front door. I wish it was available for all vehicles as I am not a big fan of having to many distractions goin on while driving. Even tried to fool it . I like the pleasant voice too.Maybe some day it will be available as a custom add on at a reasonable price.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

I used the GPS that is built into my Verizon Voyager phone coming home from LA last night. It told me about all the traffic problems and suggested detours around them. All in all, it saved me about 1.5 hours on the trip back from LAX. The best part is that since I already have a premium plan with Verizon, the navigation program is free. The screen on my phone is about half the size of my GPS unit (which died a couple of months ago) but the audio prompts make up for the difference in screen size.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN