Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

When, & cost, to change shock absorbers?

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 407798
Bus Model: 1979 Eagle Model 5

When, & cost, to change shock absorbers?

Post by JimGnitecki »

Hi, I'm a newbie to Eagles (1979 Model 05 converted in about 1997), so lots of questions over the next few weeks. here's the first:

How do you know when your Eagle needs new shock sborbers?

The reason I am asking is that I recently did a 1200 mile trip in which the bus suspension felt just fine (satisfyingly more firm that the typical airbag motorhome suspension we had been used to :) ). But, on certain bumps, particularly those found on elevated overpasses in East Texas ( :) ), there seemed to be way more "hobby horsing" than I experience in a car or that I recall experiencing in our previous National Tradewinds pusher.

I have been warned more than once that the combination of the Eagle's tag axle being in front of the drive axle, and the torsion bar based suspension's conversion of suspension movement into fore and aft versus sideways displacement, craetes a hobby horse type of effect on some bumps. In fact, I've been told that the driver can start to "defy gravity" if the seat belt is not on tight!

But, I what I am wondering is, on a stiff bump at 65 to 73 mph range (depending on speed limit at the time), does an Eagle with decent shock absorbers bounce more than once or twice?

I've only ever experienced this hobby horse effect on elevated overpasses, so I'm wondering if it's just due to the bus's front end trying to go airborne, or if new shock absorbers would make a bbig difference.

Also, if and when new shock absorbers are required, how much do they cost for parts and how much for instalaltion typically?

Jim Gnitecki
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
1979 Eagle Model 05 reborn around 1997
SmoothJazz

Re: When, & cost, to change shock absorbers?

Post by SmoothJazz »

Jim,

I would install the double action Gabriel shocks on the front end. The Gabriel no. is 85-314. This will stop make a big difference on what I call the porpoise effect. The bogie and the drives use Gabriel no. 85-303. Both of these shocks are about $45.00 each and should take only a couple of hours to install assuming everything comes apart easily.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JimGnitecki »

Thank-you, SmoothJazz!
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Gentlemen, You can now post part and part numbers in the Sticky Thread at the top of this area, Eagle Tech.

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Good idea, Paul!
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
chrisber
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F138799
Bus Model: 1984 Eagle Model 10 (As Good As It Gets) #020585
-- Currently powered by DDC 6V92TA, Allison MT740
-- DDC 12.7 L Series 60 (Pre-EGR) and adapted Allison HD 4560
still sitting on special dolly ready to be installed.

Post by chrisber »

Daniel, your information with reference to Gabriel shock absorber part numbers got me worried :roll:

Later in the conversion process of my Eagle, I learned how to align the suspension from Gerry Meeks at his residence in Vista, California. He owned two Eagles and had all the appropriate tools. He also recommended replacing the shocks on my Eagle with “Gabriel-equivalent” gas shocks. So, we went ahead and installed Road Leveler K374-28 (Manufactured by ARVIN RIDE CONTROL PRODUCTS, Inc -- Toronto, Ont., CANADA M8W 1N6) on both front and rear axles. Unfortunately, Gerry passed away some time ago and I have not been able to obtain additional information.

This leads me to my question:

Are you -- or anyone else on this board -- familiar with the Road Leveler K374-28 gas shock absorbers? Did I commit a serious faux pas (to say it mildly) by installing the wrong shocks?

Chris
Christian Berlit
El Paso, TX

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

Chris,

I am not familiar with the Road Leveler K374-28. There are many equivalent shocks to the 85-314 & 85-303. If the Road Leveler shocks are working for you, then great, leave them on. Eagle coaches were all originally equipped with the 85-303 shocks. In the late 80's they changed the front shocks to the double action 85-314 shock. I believe they made the change when the 45 foot Eagles were introduced. I know of one person who runs the 85-314 double action shocks on all axles and he tells me he gets more compliments on the ride, stability and handling of his Eagle then he ever has before.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JimGnitecki »

SmoothJazz wrote:Chris,

I am not familiar with the Road Leveler K374-28. There are many equivalent shocks to the 85-314 & 85-303. If the Road Leveler shocks are working for you, then great, leave them on. Eagle coaches were all originally equipped with the 85-303 shocks. In the late 80's they changed the front shocks to the double action 85-314 shock. I believe they made the change when the 45 foot Eagles were introduced. I know of one person who runs the 85-314 double action shocks on all axles and he tells me he gets more compliments on the ride, stability and handling of his Eagle then he ever has before.
Daniel: You are a reliable source of info on our Eagles! Could you have a look at that torque converter stall speed posting I placed yesterday?
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com