Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

leaking Exhaust clamps

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

leaking Exhaust clamps

Post by Eagle Andy »

Hey Fella's is the a reason Iam getting a little oil spray from my clamps coming off my Exhaust ? I was running the motor yesterday and after i shut it down I noticed some sprayand or drips on the turbo and also down by the clamp by the exhuat manifold. I tried tighten the clamps . Do those's clamps need to be repalce , does the heat allow them to lose's there tighting ability. Any thought's Thanks Andy ps the motor runs strong fired right up .
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
Eagle 20
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 20
6V92 DDEC II, Allison HTB748

Re: leaking Exhaust clamps

Post by Eagle 20 »

Andy,
It is really easy to remove and inspect the clamps, flanges and seats and I recommend that you do just that and look very closely for things such as cracking in the flanges (they tend to get brittle with time and heat cycles). Make sure that the flanges are sitting properly on the seats and that the angle is still as designed and that the clamps are engaging the flanges properly. The system is designed to completely seat and not gases at all when operating.
Greg Roberts
New Mexico
1989 Eagle Model 20
6V92 DDEC II, Allison ATEC HTB 748
http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

Thanks Greg , I looked at the flanges and cleaned everything up and reinstalled , seems to be ok now . What I don't understand is where is the oil or liquid coming from ? is that what they call slobber or do I have a different problem. Thanks Andy
Eagle 20
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 20
6V92 DDEC II, Allison HTB748

Post by Eagle 20 »

Regarding the liquid, do you have any idea at what point the liquid is actually present? I know you see signs of it but I am curious to know when the liquid first appears. This could give us an idea if the liquid is moisture that has condensed, raw fuel or oil from the lube system.
Greg Roberts
New Mexico
1989 Eagle Model 20
6V92 DDEC II, Allison ATEC HTB 748
http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

Greg , I talked to the detriot s/p guy at work and we have talked before and he refreshed my memory when I bought the bus the fella at put bigger injectors in when he rebuilt the motor to bring it up to 500 hp and told me that I shouldn't Idle it for very long as it will load up . so I think that is thwe problem. as soon as I can afford to do so Iam going to go back to smaller one's. I belive he put in 96's Iam not sure . thanks for your interest . Any more thought's would be great . Thanks Andy