Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Question on manually turning the engine.

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
tomhamrick
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F207535
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle Model 10

Question on manually turning the engine.

Post by tomhamrick »

Hi all, I have ordered a Jake brake kit from Don and hope to get it installed this week. I am going to install them myself on my Eagle 10S, but at a friends garage who is a excellent diesel mechanic, and he will be glancing over my shoulder every now and then. My Eagle specific question is with regard to barring over the engine to get the rocker lined correctly. There is a large nut on the drive shaft from the miter box to the fan/alternator pillar block. Is the gears in the miter box strong enough to turn the engine without harm? If not how do you accomplish this without taking all that off the engine? I know you can bump the starter to move the engine, but it seems to me that would be hard on the starter/flywheel and it would have to be bumped several times for each setting.
Thanks for all the great help.
Tom Hamrick
1984 Eagle 10S
6V92 TA
Tom Hamrick
1981 Eagle 10
1991 Prevost H3-40
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Re: Question on manually turning the engine.

Post by Boomer »

Try rolling it at the cam pulley. Be safe.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Tom, I use a pipe wrench on the shaft from the mitre box never had a problem doing it that way,when it get hard to turn just wait a few seconds till compression go down good luck
Clifford
tomhamrick
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F207535
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle Model 10

Post by tomhamrick »

Thanks for the replies. I will post next week how the install goes.
Tom Hamrick
1984 Eagle 10S
Tom Hamrick
1981 Eagle 10
1991 Prevost H3-40