Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Slideouts

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Re: Slideouts

Post by akroyaleagle »

I don't believe the bus is supported by the frame below the floor. I have seen Eagles with all bays removed that were driveable. I've also seen the bays fall out of a friends Eagle on the way home. The weight is supported by the two big hangers in the roof.

If I were you, I would get Dave's book.

I would also go to Las Vegas and spend some time with Gary Bennet at B&B CoachWorks. (702) 873-4415) http://bbcoach.com/ and pick his brain. He is in my estimation the best authority on modifying Eagles. He's done a lot of them and is a great guy on top of it.

Good Luck, Joe
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Contact Gary Bennett at B&B Coach in Vegas he been doing them for over 20 years with out problems. good luck
busdriver58
Bus Model: 1969/05 and 1964/01

Post by busdriver58 »

Thanks all for your support, I need to read first a lot but the pictures in the website from Steve clarified a lot my doubts . I know that could be tons of work and money but nothing its impossible, a few years ago I started with the madness to own an Eagle and now I have two.

I think (and I don't know if I'm worng) that the best option to do this could be a 45 footer because as I've seen in pictures (from Steve and others) that the bays are reduced a lot with the slideouts construction, but also I´ve read that a 45 footer is not a good option for a lot of RV parks in your Country, and also that California had restrictions for this size, but maybe this is a subject for another thread.
Julio & Julieta Pérez

1969 05 #7810
8V92 DD / HT-740 Allison
1964 01 #6469
8v71 DD / 4 Speed
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

As you think about slides, bedroom slides will probably be considered.

If there is any thought about converting to a large 4 stroke engine (Cat/Cummins/Detroit), you will probably be out of luck. They need to have a raised bed to accommodate the taller engine. The Cummins M11/ISM and the equivalent Cat will not require a raised be and then you can have bedroom slides.

Before folks tell me that it can be done (Cecil McClure did it with an extended rear engine compartment), I want to clarify that the normal slide will not work. You could have a taller total floor in the bedroom of a high roof raise and have slides, but that would be a pretty good challenge.

Jim

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Hal
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: f128731
Bus Model: 1974 05 Eagle

Post by Hal »

There is an awful lot of mis-information about slides in Eagles, I'm afraid. The majority of the Eagles' structure is the truss from the bottom of the window to the floor. Just hacking holes in it and installing a slide without regards to re-engineering the structure is just looking for trouble. Add too little strength or adding too much can be equally problematic. I know there are Eagles running around with under-designed slides that seem to be working, but few have enough miles/hours on them to prove their long-term durability. I doubt any of them would pass automotive engineering standards for rigidity.
As far as the local builders (NV, UT) are concerned, I have personally seen a number of slide failures come out of their shops. How about having to jack up under the bays to retract your slides?? or having your slide beat itself on the fixed sides going down the road? bay doors that couldn't be opened or closed-not to mention water and air leaks....
When I built my slide,the second Eagle done to my knowledge, I sent Frank Hines, an engineer and former President of Eagle International, the drawings of my work. He had me make a couple of changes and just laughed when I brought up the idea of a rear slide. His advise was 'don't even think about it.' The engine and transmission are hung off the truss you would be cutting by installing a rear slide.
When you look at all the problems Prevost has had with their slide designs, all the money and design expertise they can muster, why do we think we can do these in our backyards with no problems.
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here and I know there are a lot of very talented people here, but cutting one of these busses up needs lots of planning and expertise.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Hal
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

A slide is one problem I never wanted. good luck
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Hal,

Are you saying that it is impossible to build a slide out in a back yard conversion? :roll: I have pondered this thread all day and I have been through every emotion there is.....lol....... I have to say, its not where you do something, or for that matter anything, but more over HOW you do it. And for what its worth I believe there are a lot more things being done in "back yard conversions" that need to be addressed by professionals than slide outs. Granted done wrong they would be more fuss than fame but I don't think a sticking bay door or a slide out that won't slide is even close to ....say.... someone fabricating a tow hitch and having it fail and sending their toad across four lanes of traffic. Or how about the average home converter that decides after reading one of these boards that a brake job ain't no problem to do......... You want him to follow you over the Rockies????
As I type this Orange County Choppers came on and here's my point. Hal, do you think Paul Jr would have any trouble building a motorcycle in his backyard? ;) Simply put, you don't have to have a million dollar building to do a "professional" job.
I am not trying to be rude here as I am just stating facts and I am now done ranting....lol...........

Kentucky Steve
Hal
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: f128731
Bus Model: 1974 05 Eagle

Post by Hal »

Steve, my post wasn't aimed at you or any back yard converter (myself included as one). All I was getting at is there is a lot more to installing a slide than just cutting and welding. Just because someone has the basic skills to do the fabrication, doesn't mean they know how and where to strenghten the structure to maintain its' structual integrety. When I spoke of bay doors not opening or closing, and slides hammering front and rear, I was referring to structural failures-sagging trusses (frames).
It would behove people to get professional help with the design before undertaking such a project. There can be a huge investment in time and money in a conversion. It seems only prudent to have the design
looked at by a pro before hand.
I can't agree more with you about other systems in the bus that can cause a disaster-brakes, hitches, propane, electric, etc. It all has to be a complete system using approved installation techneques and materials. A 20 ton vehicle going down the road can be a real hazard if not properly designed. If we don't police ourselves with safe vehicles, you can be sure uncle sam will when given the opportunity.
Hal
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

You mean you guys got back yards,boy do I feel slighted LOL :mrgreen: I've done some of my best work out at the curb :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: ,and so have a few others here(ain't that right,Art&Cindy)LOL!
Hal ,good looking out there on the importance of good engineering practices ,you have found the right place to be,with the combined knowledge talent and experience of it's members ,makes this the world's leading source for Eagle information available to man(and alien alike :D ),and it's free! Weee!
Any body want to help me figure out how to get this spar mounted :lol: ,I think I want to fly my dirty bird LMAO 8-)

Be safe,and welcome to the madness ,which is my life :D
Van
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

I'm with Clifford on this subject. Hal is right too, for those that just have to have one.