Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Slideouts

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
busdriver58
Bus Model: 1969/05 and 1964/01

Slideouts

Post by busdriver58 »

I'm seriously thinking to start a conversion purchasing a Mexican Eagle 1991 15 45' but I want to ask first to the experts, how many slideouts could be acceptable without any problem in the structure integrity?. I've seen some new big "plastic" rigs with four slideouts, could this affect an Eagle structure?
Julio & Julieta Pérez

1969 05 #7810
8V92 DD / HT-740 Allison
1964 01 #6469
8v71 DD / 4 Speed
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: Slideouts

Post by Songman »

I know some guys here are doing 4 slides in their Eagles.

-Edited so as not to confuse people-
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Julio, You have two and you are thinking of another one!!! :lol:

I got ya! :roll:

I agree with Dale, several guys are putting one, two, three and four slides in theirs. I'm sure Kentucky Steve will be glad to help answer your questions.

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
busdriver58

Post by busdriver58 »

Songman wrote:From what I understand, all the structure of the Eagle is below the floor. You've seen pictures of mine with no walls going down the road just fine. I know some guys here are doing 4 slides in their Eagles.
I remember those pictures, very funny! :lol: :lol:

Could be the same no walls vs four big holes in the "upper structure"? I mean, your bus has no walls but the upper structure was complete. :?:
Last edited by busdriver58 on Thu May 07, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julio & Julieta Pérez

1969 05 #7810
8V92 DD / HT-740 Allison
1964 01 #6469
8v71 DD / 4 Speed
busdriver58

Post by busdriver58 »

Dreamscape wrote:Julio, You have two and you are thinking of another one!!! :lol:

I got ya! :roll:

I agree with Dale, several guys are putting one, two, three and four slides in theirs. I'm sure Kentucky Steve will be glad to help answer your questions.

~Paul~
I know, I'm crazy, I have two but it is like having anything, both birds are in the other side of the border and I will not pay what the stupid estraterrestrials are asking to import it. I have to sell both buses and then purchase one 15 45' here in Mexico, I'm not totally convinced but maybe this is the only way to realize the dream.
Last edited by busdriver58 on Thu May 07, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julio & Julieta Pérez

1969 05 #7810
8V92 DD / HT-740 Allison
1964 01 #6469
8v71 DD / 4 Speed
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Dale, I am pretty sure that Dan said that all of the structure is ABOVE the beltline. Recall that the subject came up when there was a picture of an Eagle with a drop down bay for a car or motorcycle. That disrupted the bay floor frame and we were all concerned about the structure. Dan said no problem.

Julio, the folks who put in slides really reinforce the sidewall frame. One of the issues that a structural engineer would be concerned about is the change in the structure twisting stiffness. Depending on the design, that stiffness can change significantly and that can lead to overstressing the structure when the bus is twisted (picture one corner on a mound of dirt - the bus twists a slight bit). Having said that, folks jump into the process with just a seat of the pant approach to the structure modification and I have not heard of one fatigue issue.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

hmmm... I forgot about the motorcycle thing. Maybe Dan will log and and respond. Bottom line though is that it can be done as long as reinforcement is done. I'd sure rather be in an Eagle with slides than a lot of the S&S rigs I see with slides.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Jim is correct the frame that carries the weight is above the floor. Many Eagles have slides in them, but the frame has to be relocated. Most frame relocations have been done just below the original frame. Steve has done a lot of research on this he knows a much as anybody.

Good Luck Wayne
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

What Jim is referring to is that I said the bay floors could be removed from an Eagle and still run down the road. The structure in the interior main floor, side frames and the bulkheads in the front and rear axle areas and the roof bows are where all the strength is. If you notice, in the original bay floor framing, there is very small tubing. This was mainly to handle 1,000 to 1,200 lbs. per bay of luggage. I believe it was done this way so that seated bus operators would not overload there bays and exceed the gross vehicle weight of the bus while carrying a full load of passengers.

Now then, having said that, if a person is going to build slideouts into the original bus structure, they must beef up the frame to carry the load when the slides are out. Eagle never designed the bus to have slideouts, although many entertainer operators took it upon themselves to install them. Frank Hines, who was the President of Eagle International in the late 70's and early 80's and one of the smartest men I know, helped the Calhoun Brothers design slideouts for their Eagles. He also consulted for Prevost on the same subject. I personally do not have the knowledge of what needs to be done to the structure, and if a person is going to install slideouts, I would caution them to make sure whoever is doing the work has some structural engineering in their background. Frank Hines, who is retired, was an engineer and may be able to assist with his vast experience in this area.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

I think anything is possible. The real question is how deep are your desires. If your pockets are just as deep then you have half the battle won. Are you contemplating fabrication of the slide outs yourself or, having them installed by someone else. If you are going to have them done I would suggest as others here have, that you find someone with the correct experience and background to do so. Speaking from having done 4 I can say they are a lot of mind and physical work and not something the local "handyman" can come over and complete in a week for you. I would be glad to answer any questions I can for you. If you are thinking of fabricating them yourself I would suggest getting a copy of Dave Galeys book on slide outs and read it about 10 times before you go any further. After you get done reading the book then I would search out a qualified structural engineer and you will see that having read the book you will half understand what he's saying.....lol.....This was my approach and its paying off so far. You can take a peek at the structure of an Eagle with 4 slide outs at:

http://ourbusconversion.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do lots of homework and you will be rewarded immensely in the end.

Kentucky Steve