Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Suspension 'Tune'

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
rhbelter
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F92654
Bus Model: Eagle -01 1967 Cummins M-11 10 spd OD RR

Suspension 'Tune'

Post by rhbelter »

Ahoy, Eagles,

I just finished a Torsilastic suspension ‘tune’ on my -01 Eagle.
(It is SERIOUSLY ARDUOUS work).

Here are the results:

Ride height: 13 5/8” +/-1/8”
Loads:
L Front 4200#
R Front 4380#
L Main 8220#
R Main 8420#
L Tag 2260#
R Tag 2620#

As you can see, I’m very light at 30,100 lbs. That’s full, less about 40 gallons of fuel. As I finish up the inside, I’ll probably gain ~~1500 lbs. I purposely lightly loaded the tag to reduce front axle loading. I am heavier on the right side, but the bus drives just fine with the right side load bias and light tag load.

My tag has always been lightly loaded. I don’t have ABS, but to prevent tag tire skid, I did install a ‘brake modulator valve’ (?) on the tag. It is normally used on the front axle of trucks. When braking, it puts a few lbs of pressure on the tag brakes to keep them functional, and then no more until above ~~60 psi -- a panic stop -- and then comes in with the main braking pressure. Works just fine, with no skid of the tag before the rest of the wheels.

I offer this to let other EagleFolk know what I have found acceptable.

Enjoy /s/ Bob
Bob Belter Carmel CA ---- Eagle -01 /w/ Cummins M-11/ Roadranger ten speed RTO1110
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: Suspension 'Tune'

Post by Dreamscape »

Hi Bob,

This is good information, something I really need to do myself soon. How did you weigh the axles independently? Only thing I'm worried about is my drive axle torsalstics are about at the end of their adjustment. :(

Tag axle brake modulator is a good idea too, had not heard of anyone doing that. Do you have a part number? Where is it installed? Any pictures?

Enjoying the Breaux Bridge Rally this weekend. Our first Eagle Rally and we're having a ball!

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
rhbelter
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F92654
Bus Model: Eagle -01 1967 Cummins M-11 10 spd OD RR

Post by rhbelter »

Ahoy, Paul,

No pix, no numbers. It is buried so I cannot see the numbers, anyway.

Getting one should be no problem at any big truck place, since they are commonly used on 18 wheelers to prevent front brake lock up on slippery roads.

I did the weights with a borrowed electronic scale, which worked just great.

I did my first set-up some years ago using a hydraulic jack with a pressure gage. I found that there was a LOT of friction hysteris plus a sensitivity to side loads, such that I did NOT get a very good job.

Enjoy /s/ Bob
Bob Belter Carmel CA ---- Eagle -01 /w/ Cummins M-11/ Roadranger ten speed RTO1110
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

Bob, That's OK, I'll check it out. Anything to help cut down on a bogie/tag slide is helpful. I haven't noticed that happening, but then again I've never had to make a hard panic stop either!

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Paul, those are used on trucks for the front wheel brakes in bad weather.Look in the cab and it will be a switch that has dry and slippery on it some have the valve built into the switch. good luck
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

Clifford, I think that is the same valve and switch that is being discussed on the MAK Board, at least it sounds like it.

Thanks,

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Paul, longer adjustment rods are available from Eagle. They will work fine.
Joe
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD