Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Parking brake

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Parking brake

Post by Songman »

I'm trying to get the 20 ready for the new owner to pick it up in a week or so. One of the issues that I am working on is that the parking brake will not engage. The bus has a brand new treadle valve on it that the previous owner said cost something like $1600! Crazy! When we went to pick the bus up it was all screwed up and not plumbed right and had lots of leaks. We got it mostly fixed I think although there is still a small leak. The brakes work great and keep 120 pounds of pressure when under way.

The problem is when you stop. The 20 has two separate parking brakes on it. I don't know why it has two. One is on the dash on the right side. The other is on the side by the driver's left leg. After the bus is parked and the air leaks down the brakes engage and the bus will not move. But when you pull the parking brake levers you get nothing. We just took a block with us and scotched it on our trip.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Could the treadle valve still be plumbed wrong? Does it also control the parking brake?

Thanks.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
SmoothJazz

Re: Parking brake

Post by SmoothJazz »

Dale,

The New Jersey Eagles had what appeared to be two park brakes. The one to the left of the driver was to be able to release the brakes in case the bus was stopped on a railroad track or needed to be moved in an emergency and had no air pressure. The one on the dash is the actual park brake you would use in everyday operation. I will try to check into this further for you if I can find my manual.

Dan
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Thanks Dan. Anything you can find out will be appreciated.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Dale-

I don't think I can help with this online, but I think Dan is heading the right direction. The dash valve on the left side should be the equivalent of a "momentary" valve; it should only release the brakes when you push it down, but it shouldn't stay down on its own. If the valve is staying down when you push it, someone may have replaced it with the wrong valve--if it doesn't stay down on it's own, you might want to crack the delivery line to it and see if air is passing without pushing on it. . .if air is passing, that valve is probably defective. . .

When you're ready to tinker, give me a call and I'll see if we can talk through some diagnostics.

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
Eagle 20
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 20
6V92 DDEC II, Allison HTB748

Post by Eagle 20 »

Dale,
Just to add a little more confirmation, the valve on the left wall does port air from the emergency back up tank and applies air to the chambers only when the valve is pressed and held in place. This is a system set up to allow a driver to safely exit the road way.

I would have to say that it is certainly possible that the treadle is tubed incorrectly but also there may well be another failed or stuck device in the air circuit. I say this simply because looking at my Eagle 20 treadle it really looks like it would be a no brainer to replace. This leads me to believe that the PO took a shot in the dark and replaced the treadle trying to fix malfunction but missed the mark as we do sometimes while shooting in the dark. I would take a good look at the air circuit diagram that is on the outside panel below the driver station. If you have the manual then you are another step ahead in determining which device might be causing the issue. Good luck and we will all help you through this!
Greg Roberts
New Mexico
1989 Eagle Model 20
6V92 DDEC II, Allison ATEC HTB 748
http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Thanks Greg. I do have the manuals so between them and the diagrams maybe I can figure something out. I don't know if I can have it fixed before the new owner gets here but if I can at least tell him what it is it would be helpful. He's better at working on buses than I am anyway.

Art, I think instead of buying another bus we might just ride around with you and Cindy. We have a good time down at Indio last weekend. The girls all enjoyed the bus and meeting both of you.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN