Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Genset Location

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Genset Location

Post by ericbsc »

What is the thinking for location of your genset? I have 2 areas, the old AC in the back corner and the middle bay on the driver side. I have vents in the bay door and ac. The old ac would be a great place for cranking and house batteries. I would probably need to put the inverter in the back bay for that one. Wire would be app 8'. ThIf I put the generaator there it will be on the side of the bus that you would sit around. I would need good insulation for that one. Mass loaded foam 1.25" thick will cost about $ 400.00,but I'll need that where ever I put it. Any thoughts?
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
SmoothJazz

Re: Genset Location

Post by SmoothJazz »

Eric,

The less weight you put behind the drive axle, the better life you will get out of your drive suspension. Don't get me wrong, it will handle it, but wherever you put it, make sure you keep in mind to distribute the weight of your conversion as evenly as possible from side to side in the coach. This will make it easier to do the suspension adjustment when you are finished.

Dan
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Eric, Dan is correct, But i put my generator and house batteries in the first bay and overloaded my stering axle. I would rather have more weight on the drive axle than the stering axle. A lot of people but the geny in the AC corner in the rear and have good sucess with it.

Good Luck wayne
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

Try to group the inverter, gen and batteries as close as possible. Less resistance in cables. 'Course that is a perfect world situation which may be superceded by other wants or needs. It's easy to get the front axle too heavy.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

FWIW, A previous owner installed our Onan 12.5 on the driver side, first bay behind front axle. Have heard of several done that way because of getting more cooler cleaner air, ours is an air cooled gen. One noisy sucker I might add!

I agree with Boomer that everything should be situated as close together as possible. I have seen a few installed in the old A/C compartment too.

I'm only giving you what has been done on our Eagle by a previous owner and not sure if I would have done that. If we ever get rid of the old Onan I would consider putting a smaller, water cooled in the same bay. I had thought of the A/C compartment but not sure if I want it under our bedroom. Of course if it's quiet it wouldn't matter.

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Post by ericbsc »

I am planning on putting the water and gray tanks between the bogie where the ac was. I can't think of a good way to balance the load unless I put the gen on the driver side and the batteries curbside. That would put the batteries in the old ac in the corner. Ideas?
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
Hal
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: f128731
Bus Model: 1974 05 Eagle

Post by Hal »

A lot of folks mount them in the old a/c area although they can be a little tight when done right (sound supression,maintance provisions,etc) As far as keeping the battery's close,there is really no need. All you have is a/c wiring to your inverter which is no big deal,
not like your battery cables.
You'll want to keep the inverter too battery cables short but be sure to keep the battery bank and inverter in different compartments.
You will want to keep as much weight off the front as possible-its a real balance nightmare in most conversions . Depending on how you mount your holding tanks your balance can change all the time.
Lots to think about.
Hal